none
The report definition for report 'ABC.rdlc' has not been specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've recently moved my RDLC files into the class library (as I'm going to be having multiple "UI" projects accessing the same reports). So as I moved them to the class library and set them as Embedded Resources I changed the binding of the report viewer to:

Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataSource rdsAPI = new Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataSource("DS1", ds1 as System.Data.DataTable);
    Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataSource rdsUser = new Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportDataSource("UserDS", user as System.Data.DataTable);

ReportHelper.SetReportEmbeddedResource(rvds1Pdf, "ClassLibrary1.Namespace.Blah.ds1.rdlc");
    rvds1Pdf.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(rdsds1);
    rvds1Pdf.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(rdsUser);
    rvds1Pdf.Visible = true;
    byte[] reportData = rvds1Pdf.LocalReport.Render("PDF");
    rvds1Pdf.Visible = false;

The ReportHelper.SetReportEmbeddedResource method is inside the same class library as the RDLC because that's the only way I've found it to work and all it does is this:

public static void SetReportEmbeddedResource(Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer reportViewer, string reportName)
    {
                reportViewer.LocalReport.ReportEmbeddedResource = reportName;
    }

All works perfectly until I deploy it to the UAT box. Then I receive "The report definition for report 'ClassLibrary1.Namespace.Blah.ds1.rdlc' has not been specified"!

I used http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/3262/A-NET-assembly-viewer to double check that the RDLC is present as a Manifest Resource inside the DLL that's on the UAT box, which it is. So I'm a bit stumped why this is happening. I'm using a box standard web deployment project package the web site.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Kind regards

Sidharth

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:01 PM

Answers

• Okay, I think I have fixed the problem with the embedded report. I changed the SetReportEmbeddedResource method to:

public static void SetReportEmbeddedResource(Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer reportViewer, string reportName)
    {
        using (Stream s = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(reportName))
        {
            reportViewer.LocalReport.LoadReportDefinition(s);
        }
    }

Kind regards
    Sidharth

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:41 PM

All replies

• Some more information about this. Locally I was using the built-in Cassini/VS Web server however on UAT I'm using IIS. I changed my local settings to use IIS and I get the same error!

Any suggestions on what I can try or which IIS setting might cause this error?

Kind regards

Sidharth

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Okay, I think I have fixed the problem with the embedded report. I changed the SetReportEmbeddedResource method to:

{
        using (Stream s = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(reportName))
        {
            reportViewer.LocalReport.LoadReportDefinition(s);
        }
    }

Kind regards
    Sidharth

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Thanks, this helped me.

For me, I was only getting the error when a) under full IIS (not IIS Express) AND b) compiled under Release configuration.

I think it was working on the production machine for a time without this fix, and I'm not sure what changed. I'm guessing something to do with DLL load order. Anyway, implementing your code change makes this much more reliable.

Notes: this was Report Viewer 2012 on Win7 dev machine and SBS 2008 server, under IIS, using .NET 4.5. Full error text:

An error occurred during local report processing.
    The report definition for report 'XReport' has not been specified
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Whick package?

Kind regards

Monday, April 29, 2013 2:38 PM