Where to go for hybrid app on phone, tablets and Windows 8 pc ?

Question

• Hello, 

I have received an offer to create a Windows application to add barcode scan feature to a web site.

There is already an existing web site and a mobile version for it, I don't know what technology is behind but the client would like to be able to use the camera of a phone or tablet, read the barcode and update its database so the web site can display the information related to this scan.

I would like this application to be available on my Surface Pro tablet, a windows phone and any Windows 8 PC.  I have found this link on hybrid apps: http://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/featured/hybrid-web-apps  I would like to make sure it is still valid.

I believe it could be a great way of building a new app with access in it to the current mobile web site.  So, there would be a welcome screen with a tile to access the current site, a tile to use the barcode reader and, in further versions, more tiles to bring a new experience to the web site features.

I have started some training in Windows 8 with WinJS but I am not sure if I can build such hybrid application for all three environments, tablet, phone and PC.

About compatibility over platforms, I understood that one application will run on tablets and PC but I will need to split my code into several pieces to share some components with an application only for the phones...  I am wondering if simple HTML5 could give me access to the camera and enable the web site to take the picture witout a new app, for the IE on Windows Phone 7.5 for example... any idea ?

Could you please share with me if you have any experience or ideas on the feasibility of such a project ?

Thanks a lot !
    Claude
    Monday, April 14, 2014 8:33 AM

Answers

• Windows 8.1/WP8.1 has Universal apps, which allows you to share business logic with both Phone and Windows 8.1 machines. If the website can already detect the barcodes from an image, you can allow the app to take the picture, then upload it to the website using a web service, then allow the website to read the barcode and send back the relevant information, or display it on the website.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:47 PM

All replies

• Windows 8.1/WP8.1 has Universal apps, which allows you to share business logic with both Phone and Windows 8.1 machines. If the website can already detect the barcodes from an image, you can allow the app to take the picture, then upload it to the website using a web service, then allow the website to read the barcode and send back the relevant information, or display it on the website.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Thank you,

But it answers only partially and the cause of that might be that I was unclear.  In fact, I was expecting to be able to do like in WP7, use the camera and that a built-in feature detects and decode the barcode and send it to an application or to launch the detection from the application but I just realized that this doesn't exist in Windows 8!!!

Does it exists in WP8 ?   This means that this part will be completely different in my applications for W8, WP8 and WP7...  (I am not sure if we can still create and deploy apps for WP7...)

Isn't that a regression that this feature exists on WP7 but not on more recent platforms ?  Do you know if there is plans to support it ? or a Microsoft recommended approach to go around this limitation ?

Thanks a lot, I have already started the development for Windows 8, I am learning the SDK and WinJS programming...

Best regards,

Claude

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:14 PM