none
Flag a task to roll up to project summary level RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello All,

I'm looking for help to create a flag type column that would allow me to "tag" certain tasks to roll up a custom graphical indicator column I have set up. The "stop light" column that I have customized seems to work well. However for reporting purpose I would like only certain tasks to be shown at the project summary level. The formula I am using for the custom status column is:         IIf([Duration]=0,(IIf([% Complete]=100,2,IIf([Finish]<Now()+7 And [% Complete]<100 And [% Complete]>=80,3,IIf([Finish]<Now()=7 And [% Complete]<80,4,1)))),IIf(([% Complete]=100 Or [% Complete]>100*(Abs((Now()-[Start])/([Finish]-[Start])))),2,(IIf([Finish]>Now(),IIf([Start]>Now(),1,3),4)))) and as I stated it seems to work well. I am just unsure how to connect a flag type column to the custom status column.

Thank You.

Jeremy

Friday, August 9, 2013 12:38 PM

Answers

• Jeremy,

Sorry, I didn't remember you having a master file. That makes a difference. I've played with it a bit but I can't get anything to roll up to the master file Project Summary Task, so I'm thinking it may not be possible, at least with a dynamic master. However, if you convert to a static master, then it will work.

Meanwhile, no your proposed formula will not work. If you want to roll up all three indicators then the formula should be:

IIf([Number1]=1 Or [Number1]=2 Or [Number1]=3,"yes","no").

John

• Marked as answer by jssdlr Friday, August 9, 2013 7:39 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 6:30 PM

All replies

• Jeremy,

It looks like you have the three basic stoplight indicators but it's not clear as to which one, or maybe more, you want to roll up to the Project Summary Task.

I would create a formula in a flag field that tests whatever field contains your stoplight formula, for whichever stoplight you want rolled up. For example, let's say your stoplight formula is in the Number1 field and you want the tasks tagged with the "2" stoplight rolled up. Then your new formula might be:

Flag1 = IIf([Number1]=2,"yes","no")

Then create your rollup bar format this is a rollup and looks at the Flag1 field. Also make sure to check the option to rollup under Task Information for the Project Summary Task.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, August 9, 2013 4:41 PM
  •     Hi John,

I would like all indicators to roll up. Similar to the last post that you helped me with, this is in a Consolidated File. So there are certain tasks that we are interested in the status.

Going off of the formula you suggested then would the formula:     Flag1 = IIf([Number1]=1,2,3,4,"yes","no") be correct to roll up all indicators for the tasks that are flagged.

FYI, the last help you gave me works like a champ. 

Jeremy

Friday, August 9, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Jeremy,

Sorry, I didn't remember you having a master file. That makes a difference. I've played with it a bit but I can't get anything to roll up to the master file Project Summary Task, so I'm thinking it may not be possible, at least with a dynamic master. However, if you convert to a static master, then it will work.

Meanwhile, no your proposed formula will not work. If you want to roll up all three indicators then the formula should be:

IIf([Number1]=1 Or [Number1]=2 Or [Number1]=3,"yes","no").

John

• Marked as answer by jssdlr Friday, August 9, 2013 7:39 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2013 6:30 PM
  • John,

Thank you for the correction. I will play around with it in a single project and try and get that schedule converted. Seems like it would make my life a bit easier! I keep learning a bit at a time, still struggle a little with the logic, but feeling better.

Once again I very much appreciate your time!

Jeremy

Friday, August 9, 2013 7:49 PM
  • Jeremy,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:38 PM