Silverlight Prompting for Runtime when already installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a strange problem with Silverlight.

I'm using VS2010 (on Win XP) to develop a site with Silverlight application. On my machine, every browser (IE8, Chrome) prompts me to install Silverlight, but it is already installed (version 4.0) ! Same thing with various internet sites.

On other machines the site works well.

I tried to uninstall all Silverlight versions (2.0, 3.0, 4.0) on my machine and reinstall only 4.0. The site worked, but, after a reboot, the problem appeared again.

Silverlight in correctly enabled on IE8.

Any idea ?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:14 PM

All replies

• I'm having same issue. Did anyone find a solution?
    Friday, April 1, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Same problem here, though I'm on win7/64bit. Every time I try to run the msn money portfolio, I'm asked to install Silverlight, but it is already installed. Uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail. Problem arose maybe a month ago. I've search far and wide online and haven't found the magic bullet yet, but see lots of folks have similar issue on numerous programs to which Silverlight is a necessary add-on.
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:25 PM
  • I would recommend installing the Silverlight 5 plug-in now that it is out.  You can install the SL 5 SDK on your development machine(s) and set it for SL 4 mode in the properties of your project.  I have have seen similar behavor triggered when a SL security update was installed.  Check the version numbers of SL on the clients as well as the development machine to see if they are different.  That may help you run it down.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 12:54 AM