An IE10 Option To Enable Full Color Management Would be Nice

General discussion

• Internet Explorer 10, as we're seeing it in beta form in the Windows 8 DP, still does only half the job of color-management when displaying images...

Since IE9, Internet Explorer recognizes embedded image profiles and interprets the RGB values in images per the profile, but for some reason it still doesn't use a monitor profile to prepare the color for output to a specific monitor.  As far as I can see it still converts everything to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 output, as did its predecessor IE9.

I can only imagine Microsoft has avoided doing so because monitor profiles that are poorly built, or just plain faulty, are quite common.  Thus, if IE were to unconditionally do the whole job, using whatever monitor profile the user has associated with the display, one can imagine that IE might crash far more often.

But why not add an option where knowledgeable users, who might calibrate and profile their displays accurately and produce a good monitor profile, COULD actually get full color-management support from IE?  You could have it come up at the current default for the most stable out of box experience - i.e., to convert all colors to the sRGB profile as it does now.

Just as an illustration, consider an image saved with the ProPhoto RGB profile, as displayed in four different applications with a special monitor profile in place that twists the colors in an obvious way, for illustrating color-management problems.

The first (leftmost) app is Windows' own Photo Viewer application, which DOES do full color management. It has obeyed the monitor color profile's color swap, which has caused the image to turn green. This is actually correct operation given this profile.

The second is Internet Explorer 10, which has only transformed the image colors to sRGB and displayed them. Note that it has ignored the monitor profile.

The third is IrfanView, set to disable all color management. You can see that the color is muted, indicating it did not interpret the image color profile and it also did not use the monitor color profile for display.

The last is FireFox, which (despite some flaws) DOES attempt to do a complete job of color-management, interpreting both the color profile in the image and the (twisted) monitor profile.

Come on, Microsoft...  Please give us at least an option we can configure to have IE interpret the monitor profile.  Clearly you know how to do the job (as evidenced by Windows Photo Viewer).  Have your IE people talk to your Windows Photo Viewer people.  There's no reason to keep your browser in the stone age of color-management.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Monday, January 9, 2012 6:12 AM punctuation
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:00 AM

All replies

• I am a photographer and fully agree with this and have done for some time.... I like IE but IE simply 'ruins' many photographs simply because many people are now using monitors with larger gamuts (even cheaper Dell monitors have wider gamuts now).  

Firefox get around this issue and so does Chrome  (although it is not perfect yet either) so why IE can't do this?

More and more people now take photographs, either on phones or digital cameras and even they are noticing color shifts in their photos that they put on the web.

Come on Microsoft - color management is not just in the 'domain' of the photographer or graphic designer any more.

Trouble is NO ONE at Microsoft seems to listen or show any interest! Shame.

Jon
    Monday, January 9, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Microsoft's lack of proper color profile support continues to amaze me. They even heralded the work they did in IE 9, which turned out (as we all now know) to be worthless. If you ignore the color profile of the monitor, you may as well not bother. All of my monitors are wide gamut now, and every image looks like crap in IE. I've completely abandoned IE because of this, and have told everyone I know they should do the same.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Well, to be fair it's not worthless, per se.  You CAN set some monitors to specifically produce an sRGB output response, and just use the sRGB profile.  Then you do get accurate color-management from IE and your other color-managed apps.  Doing this, you even get proper color from non-color-managed apps when they're displaying sRGB images.

But, with an sRGB monitor setup you DO miss out on the potential advantages of using a monitor with a wider color gamut, which can be important to those trying to get the most out of a print workflow.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:55 PM clarified wording
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:47 PM