none
Project Server Custom fields - People Picker RRS feed

• Question

• Dears,

i want to add a new custom field of type people picker to use it in a project details page using project fields webpart

any advice about this type of field or any work around???

thanks in advance

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:10 AM

Answers

• Just in case any of you are still looking - I have published a small piece of Javascript to turn any Single Line Of Text custom field into a standard SharePoint People Picker - works for 2013 on-prem and online.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Use-SharePoint-people-cc8289de 

Cheers,

James.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:03 AM
  • What type of project custom field you are currently using to capture the data, and if already some data has been captured and is in progress, replacing it with a custom web part shouldn't be of much issue, what i am saying is let the project custom field be as it is, just edit your PDP and add the custom web part(people picker custom developed), next time anyone selects the name in people picker and submits, the same Project custom field in the background gets updated using PSI for the corresponding project,

so its just that instead of user updating Project custom field directly, user is filling data through custom web part
    and custom web part in turn updates the same project custom field, hence user gets the experience of sharepoint people picker but in the backend your project custom field is updated

Let me know if this clarifies

Thanks
    Sunil 

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• Tarek,

You cannot add a people picker custom fields on a project details page. People picker is a SharePoint custom field type and is not available in Project Server.

You can create a project custom text field and link it to a lookup table containing all the names of your resources. You need to fill up and maintain this lookup table manually however.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Hi

Alternatively, you can build your own custom web part which would behave / act like sharepoint people picker,
    and could trigger a sync to any Project Custom field on whichever event you would want

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Sunil,

the problem is currently i use the custom fields and i've built project details pages to collect the data from users into these fields through the project fields webpart... how can i add another field of type peolpe picker with these fields... i need these fields to be side by side in one page - the project server fields through the project fields webpart and the people picker control - .

Hansh,

i tried to make it automatic through making an ETL that contacts the Project server DB directly and it seems to be good but have some limitaions like :

- in my company we have more than 5000 users and the field that is based on the lookup has no autocomplete feature so if i have to get a user in the middle or at the last of the list i will scroll alot

- There is no search like the people picker

so any other workarounds???

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Tarek,

I hope that by 'ETL that contacts the Project server DB'... you mean 'we are using the PSI to update the lookup table'?

Accessing and updating the database directly is not supported and might cause data corruption or other problems.

There is no autocomplete, but when you click on the arrow right of the field to open the options list, you can type the first letter to jump in the list (not 100% what you are looking for, but it might help a little).

If you want to use the Project Detail pages, that's basically all you can do... else you have to build your own 'project detail'-like page on which you can add any element you want and sync it with project data using PSI.

I hope this helps

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:25 PM
  • What type of project custom field you are currently using to capture the data, and if already some data has been captured and is in progress, replacing it with a custom web part shouldn't be of much issue, what i am saying is let the project custom field be as it is, just edit your PDP and add the custom web part(people picker custom developed), next time anyone selects the name in people picker and submits, the same Project custom field in the background gets updated using PSI for the corresponding project,

so its just that instead of user updating Project custom field directly, user is filling data through custom web part
    and custom web part in turn updates the same project custom field, hence user gets the experience of sharepoint people picker but in the backend your project custom field is updated

Let me know if this clarifies

Thanks
    Sunil 

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Hi Tarek,

i just came across this post, and thought i should update incase you still need assistance. although the post is few months old. I just blogged about the solution for your mentioned requirement, you can go through here. If you find it useful, please mark it as useful or mark as answer.

hope this helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Hi Tarek,

we have built a people picker webpart that you can use to convert a project text custom field to a people picker field - including autocomplete/filter function.

If you still need something like that, contact us.

http://www.solvin.com/index.php/utilities.html#PeoplePicker

Kind regards

Christoph

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Just in case any of you are still looking - I have published a small piece of Javascript to turn any Single Line Of Text custom field into a standard SharePoint People Picker - works for 2013 on-prem and online.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Use-SharePoint-people-cc8289de 

Cheers,

James.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Try this https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/projectserver/Use-SharePoint-people-cc8289de

It worked for me!
    • Proposed as answer by James Boman Monday, October 24, 2016 11:08 AM
    Monday, October 24, 2016 10:06 AM
  • saving my life since 2013... and continuing... Thanks James Boman
    Friday, January 25, 2019 6:56 PM
  • saving my life since 2013... and continuing... Thanks James Boman

You're welcome - At some point I to update it with the more advanced version based on SPFX.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD

Saturday, January 26, 2019 1:00 AM