none
unable to get the VLookup property of the worksheet function class RRS feed

• Question

• can I use the application.worksheetfunction.vlookup to perform a look up in a different workbook & worksheet than the one the function resides in? does it matter if the workbook is open or not?

steve

Saturday, January 19, 2013 2:46 AM

Answers

• Unless you've "declared" the arguments of the function, Excel won't display them for a user-defined function.

Try changing the lines

UVe = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(EndDate, LookupRange, 2, False)
        UVb = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(BeginDate, LookupRange, 2, False)

to

UVe = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CDbl(EndDate), LookupRange, 2, False)
        UVb = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CDbl(BeginDate), LookupRange, 2, False)

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by steve99g Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:44 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:43 PM

All replies

• You can look up values in another OPEN workbook:

x = Application.VLookup(Range("A1"), _
        Workbooks("OtherWorkbook.xlsx").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:B100"), _
        2, False)
    But not in a workbook that is not currently open in Excel.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:00 AM
  • I am in the soup. Here's what I did, yet I still get the error:

I have a sheet with 2 columns, column 1 has dates in mm/dd/yyyy format, column 2 has 5 decimal numbers. below is the function & cell entry I use to call it. The module is in the same workbook as the sheet. I have two questions:

1. I still get the error 1004 unable to get the vlookup property...
    2. when I begin typing the function into the cell, none of the agruements appear in the intellisense. Any help will be appreciated

=ReturnCalcTest(a10,a2,$a1:$b80)

Public Function ReturnCalcTest(EndDate As Date, BeginDate As Date, LookupRange As Range) As Double

Dim UVe, UVb As Double
    Dim i As Integer

i = DateDiff("yyyy", EndDate, BeginDate)

If i < 1 Then
        ReturnCalcTest = ((UVe / UVb) - 1) * 100
    Else
        ReturnCalcTest = (((UVe / UVb) ^ (1 / i)) - 1) * 100
    End If

End Function

steve

Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Unless you've "declared" the arguments of the function, Excel won't display them for a user-defined function.

Try changing the lines

to

UVe = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CDbl(EndDate), LookupRange, 2, False)
        UVb = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(CDbl(BeginDate), LookupRange, 2, False)

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

• Marked as answer by steve99g Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:44 PM
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Thank you Hans

steve

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:44 PM