multiple exe for single Application RRS feed

• Question

• Our smartdevice application weighs around 1MB so we are proposed to use Multiple exe files rather than a single one..
    now we have 4 exe's each weighs around 250 kb
    all i want to know,is there any added advatage going for multiple exe's for a single application?

Will that effect available runtime memory for the application?
    Are there any security issues?

what is the best process to handle the applications with Large exe

thank u
    Aditya.
    Saturday, November 11, 2006 7:26 AM

Answers

• The main advantage I am aware of is that startup time for your exe is roughly proportional to the size of the exe due to hashing the exe file to verify signatures on it.  Hence you should probably find your little apps individually start faster than the big app would have. However the combined total startup time of all 4 little apps may well be longer than the big app.

Again memory usage may be less for your little apps individually than the single big app but the memory usage of all 4 combined is likely to be larger than your big app. Of course this depends immensly on the actual design of your 4 little apps. You may want to look at this page here:
          http://blogs.msdn.com/mikezintel/archive/2004/12/08/278153.aspx
    to get an idea of how your apps may be using memory.

For security issues primarily you would want to look at the security policies present on the devices you are developing for as there are a lot of different variations out there. Assuming that all your applications are going to exist in the same trust bucket/category I doubt you would see a significant change in the security implications.

Hope that helps,
    Noah Falk
    .Net Compact Framework
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:47 PM