How to programmatically create and edit a word document from a windows store app?

Question

• I am using visual studio 2012 ultimate to create a windows store app that exports word documents, how do I create, format/edit word documents or open existing word documents ?

Saturday, March 9, 2013 10:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Rakesh,

Just tried the OpenXml sdk in Windows Store C# app. Although we can correctly add reference to the Open Xml sdk assembly (via Nuget packages), it seems the OOXML has some dependency which is not supported by Windows Runtime specific .NET framework libraries (such as the System.IO.Packaging namespace). Therefore, I'm afraid the Open XML approach won't work in Windows Store client application

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Rakesh.adk7,

You can consider a client-server approach and build some webservice to encapsulate the Office/word document manipulation function at server-side. Thus, your server-side implementation can have rich office document manipulation code logic and the Windows Store app client only need to communicate with the service.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:57 AM
  • Hi Rakesh,

Just tried the OpenXml sdk in Windows Store C# app. Although we can correctly add reference to the Open Xml sdk assembly (via Nuget packages), it seems the OOXML has some dependency which is not supported by Windows Runtime specific .NET framework libraries (such as the System.IO.Packaging namespace). Therefore, I'm afraid the Open XML approach won't work in Windows Store client application

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:07 AM