Unable to download vhd from Azure Storage Account Container (classic) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need assistance to download a VHD from Azure.

The situation is like this.

We have a Virtual Machine (VM) deployed in the classic mode few years ago. We decided to end its service in Azure. But we would like to download its disk to local drive.

However, we are unable to do so.

We had tried the following method:

1. Stopping the VM (stopped and deallocated), and download via the portal.
    2. Stopping the VM (stopped and deallocated), using the new Azure Storage Explorer to download.
    3. Deleted the VM but did not delete the disk, then download via the portal.
    4. Deleted the VM but did not delete the disk, then use the new Azure Storage Explorer to download

However all the above methods failed with error.

We even tried using the Powershell. However, we are unable to find the vhd using the new Azure Powershell cmdlets (now Get-AzDisk). perhaps it is due to the disk was deployed in classic mode.

please advice how can we download a copy of the VHD to local disk.

Thanks.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 6:31 AM

All replies

• @Lexang  Open Portal --> Search for the disk classic --> Make sure that disk isn't attached to anything.

Go to the Storage Account -->There you will find the Media link From there you will find the storage account. Go that particular Storage account and download the VHD.

Hope this helps! 

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and Upvote on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Hi Sumanth,

I tried downloading using the method you had suggested.

However it is getting the same error as what i had been getting for the past few days.

Error=Failed-Forbidden

I had confirmed that the disk isnt attached to anything.

Please advice.

Thanks

Thursday, December 19, 2019 1:10 AM