none
WCF adapter - how to implement authorization? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

If I was writing a "normal" (i.e. non-BizTalk) WCF service I would lock down operations using either the PrincipalPermission attribute or do an IsInRole check in the code, but how would achieve a similar thing with the BizTalk WCF adapter (if it's even possible)?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:44 PM

Answers

• Yes, it is possible.

You can create your own custom service authorization behavior, and use it with WCF-Custom adapter.

I'm adding the code block below

1- Compile the code below, and install it to GAC

2-  Add the following entry to machine.config file

<system.serviceModel>

<extensions>

<behaviorExtensions>

<add name="myCustomAuth" type="WcfServiceBehaviors.MyCustomBehaviorElement, WcfServiceBehaviors, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=PUBLIC KEY OF YOUR DLL" />

</behaviorExtensions>

</extensions>

</system.serviceModel>

3- Restart BTS service, and reopen administration console if it's already open.

4- Create a receive location with WCF-Custom adapter. Choose whatever binding you want. Go to behaviors tab, and add the myCustomAuth binding by right clicking on the serviceBehavior and choosing add extension

Code Block

using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Text;

using System.ServiceModel;

using System.ServiceModel.Channels;

using System.ServiceModel.Description;

using System.ServiceModel.Configuration;

using System.IdentityModel.Policy;

using System.IdentityModel.Claims;

using System.Security.Principal;

namespace WcfServiceBehaviors

{

public class MyCustomServiceAuthorizationManager : ServiceAuthorizationManager

{

protected override bool CheckAccessCore(OperationContext operationContext){

if (!base.CheckAccessCore(operationContext))

{

return false;

}

AuthorizationContext authCtx = operationContext.ServiceSecurityContext.AuthorizationContext;

//you can do your custom authorization here

//authCtx.ClaimSets

//authCtx.Properties["Principal"]

//if you want to do your authorization based on the operation, you can try using operationContext.EndpointDispatcher.ContractName

return true;

}

}

public class MyCustomBehaviorElement : BehaviorExtensionElement

{

protected override object CreateBehavior()

{

return new MyCustomServiceBehavior();

}

public override Type BehaviorType

{

get { return typeof(MyCustomServiceBehavior); }

}

}

public class MyCustomServiceBehavior : IServiceBehavior

{

#region IServiceBehavior Members

public void AddBindingParameters(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, ServiceHostBase serviceHostBase, System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection<ServiceEndpoint> endpoints, BindingParameterCollection bindingParameters)

{

}

public void ApplyDispatchBehavior(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, ServiceHostBase serviceHostBase)

{

ServiceAuthorizationBehavior authBehavior = serviceDescription.Behaviors.Find<ServiceAuthorizationBehavior>();

authBehavior.ServiceAuthorizationManager = new MyCustomServiceAuthorizationManager();

((IServiceBehavior)authBehavior).ApplyDispatchBehavior(serviceDescription, serviceHostBase);

}

public void Validate(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, ServiceHostBase serviceHostBase)

{

}

#endregion

}

}

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:15 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible.

You can create your own custom service authorization behavior, and use it with WCF-Custom adapter.

I'm adding the code block below

1- Compile the code below, and install it to GAC

2-  Add the following entry to machine.config file

<system.serviceModel>

<extensions>

<behaviorExtensions>

<add name="myCustomAuth" type="WcfServiceBehaviors.MyCustomBehaviorElement, WcfServiceBehaviors, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=PUBLIC KEY OF YOUR DLL" />

</behaviorExtensions>

</extensions>

</system.serviceModel>

3- Restart BTS service, and reopen administration console if it's already open.

4- Create a receive location with WCF-Custom adapter. Choose whatever binding you want. Go to behaviors tab, and add the myCustomAuth binding by right clicking on the serviceBehavior and choosing add extension

Code Block

using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Text;

using System.ServiceModel;

using System.ServiceModel.Channels;

using System.ServiceModel.Description;

using System.ServiceModel.Configuration;

using System.IdentityModel.Policy;

using System.IdentityModel.Claims;

using System.Security.Principal;

namespace WcfServiceBehaviors

{

public class MyCustomServiceAuthorizationManager : ServiceAuthorizationManager

{

protected override bool CheckAccessCore(OperationContext operationContext){

if (!base.CheckAccessCore(operationContext))

{

return false;

}

AuthorizationContext authCtx = operationContext.ServiceSecurityContext.AuthorizationContext;

//you can do your custom authorization here

//authCtx.ClaimSets

//authCtx.Properties["Principal"]

//if you want to do your authorization based on the operation, you can try using operationContext.EndpointDispatcher.ContractName

return true;

}

}

public class MyCustomBehaviorElement : BehaviorExtensionElement

{

protected override object CreateBehavior()

{

return new MyCustomServiceBehavior();

}

public override Type BehaviorType

{

get { return typeof(MyCustomServiceBehavior); }

}

}

public class MyCustomServiceBehavior : IServiceBehavior

{

#region IServiceBehavior Members

public void AddBindingParameters(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, ServiceHostBase serviceHostBase, System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection<ServiceEndpoint> endpoints, BindingParameterCollection bindingParameters)

{

}

public void ApplyDispatchBehavior(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, ServiceHostBase serviceHostBase)

{

ServiceAuthorizationBehavior authBehavior = serviceDescription.Behaviors.Find<ServiceAuthorizationBehavior>();

authBehavior.ServiceAuthorizationManager = new MyCustomServiceAuthorizationManager();

((IServiceBehavior)authBehavior).ApplyDispatchBehavior(serviceDescription, serviceHostBase);

}

public void Validate(ServiceDescription serviceDescription, ServiceHostBase serviceHostBase)

{

}

#endregion

}

}

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Many thanks for your help.

I was already on the right lines before starting this thread - I had already implemented my own IAuthorizationPolicy (where I create the principal and populate its roles), and had also tried implementing a custom ServiceAuthorizationManager class, but I just couldn't find a way to access the principal object until I saw your code.

Regards

Andy

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:05 PM