Search does not return any results RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Recently we had some issues in our farm concenring Search. After a full crawl and some incremental crawls it stopped working. (Content Source was in Pausing Mode.). A workarround was to Restart a Full Crawl and usually this solved our problem temporary.

Yesterday, I tried to stop and start MOSS Search Service but it was stuck on Stopping.

I tried to stop it using stsadm command and start it again: stsadm -o osearch -action stop / start

It did not solve our problem. I then restarted the server and under Services Console Office SharePoint Search Service was succesfuly stopped.

I then started a full crawl which is already running about 7 hours and no results are returned!!!!

Since I ran the stsadm command I guess that index files are purged. Is that the reason why no results are returned in any search???

One more hint: Under Operations > Services on Server > Office SharePoint Server Search is in Stopping mode. However the service is Started under Services Console of Windows.

Any ideas ??

Thanks.

Dimitris Porikos, MCTS
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hello Peng,

Thanks for your info. I discovered that the Query Server was not started....

I started the Service and the problem solved.

Dimitris Porikos, MCTS
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:54 AM

All replies

• Just discovered that Crawling completed and Content Soutce's status is idle. No results in search (also in people search) and Search service is still in stopping status in Operations > Services on Server.
    Dimitris Porikos, MCTS
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Hi Dimitris Porikos,

Make sure the index server can reach the public URL you are using by opening IE on the index server and trying to browse to it.

Also, here is another Blog with some helpful suggestions: http://hermansberghem.blogspot.com/2009/08/crawler-could-not-communicate-with.html.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Hello Peng,

Thanks for your info. I discovered that the Query Server was not started....

I started the Service and the problem solved.

Dimitris Porikos, MCTS
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:54 AM