SQL Server 2008 Synchronous Database Mirroring with dual NIC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had configured SQL Server 2008 Standard edition in two different servers with witness server for synchronous database mirroring. Both these servers are having two network interface. No teaming enabled. When one network is getting disconnected the database getting fail-over to other server. The Mirroring is configure with hostnames and not with IP address. Both these servers are authenticated to a domain controller. This fail-over is a normal behavior? I would like to avoid this. Sometime when this happens both the Database ( Primary and mirror) showing disconnected/Restoring. During this period we are able ping each other including host. 

Please let me know any specific configuration need to be done when using dual NIC.

thanks,

Sajith

Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:55 AM

Answers

• In the link to serverfault posted earlier the nics were bridged.  You have dual nics on each server and they are not teamed, your mirroring is setup using host names for resolution.  This will not work as your host resolution is based  on dns or a host file which the local dns cache on the server will have an entry for the IP on which mirroring was working. Also having both nics enabled and not teamed may cause issues down the road.  For redundancy and better perfromance just team the nics on the server and be sure the ports on the switch are bonded as well.

MCM: Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008 | MCT: Microsoft Certified Trainer | MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 | MCITP: Database Developer 2008 | MCITP: Database Administrator | MCITP: Database Developer | MCDBA: Microsoft SQL Server 2000
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, April 25, 2011 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:06 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:32 AM

All replies

• Saturday, April 2, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Is it not possible to use both the NIC for mirroring? In this case if that dedicated NIC fails the fail-over will happen.  In my case only one database is getting mirrored and traffic is not very high.  My thought process was mirroring should happen over both NIC and even when one NIC is down it should continue.

thanks,

Sajith

Saturday, April 2, 2011 10:05 AM
  • I believe you can do that - please visit this thread http://serverfault.com/questions/72587/network-design-for-sql-server

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, April 4, 2011 3:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Peja Tao Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:48 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 1:47 PM
  • In the link to serverfault posted earlier the nics were bridged.  You have dual nics on each server and they are not teamed, your mirroring is setup using host names for resolution.  This will not work as your host resolution is based  on dns or a host file which the local dns cache on the server will have an entry for the IP on which mirroring was working. Also having both nics enabled and not teamed may cause issues down the road.  For redundancy and better perfromance just team the nics on the server and be sure the ports on the switch are bonded as well.

MCM: Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008 | MCT: Microsoft Certified Trainer | MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 | MCITP: Database Developer 2008 | MCITP: Database Administrator | MCITP: Database Developer | MCDBA: Microsoft SQL Server 2000
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Monday, April 25, 2011 1:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Tuesday, May 3, 2011 4:06 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:32 AM