none
layer Ordnance Survey broken while using IPv6 ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Recently in the last few week or so, i notice that the Ordinance Survey layer for us UK folks has stopped working when accessing the site over IPv6..

If i disable IPv6 entirely on my system and browse via legacy IPv4, the layer is visible.

But if i have it enabled (via HE as my ISP is dragging its feet supporting IPv6 natively), the layer is not available. 

What gives??

screenshot available but can't post "until we are able to verify your account"

• Edited by AleksMK Thursday, October 15, 2020 1:01 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2020 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Aleks,

I can't repro your issue but I can confirm that availability of the OS layer is based on the location returned by the browser. In this case, is your IPV6 potentially not returning the same value for location that your iPV4 does through the browser?  Please keep in mind that I am not an ip address or web expert so I am replying based on my knowledge of how the Bing Maps Web control works to display the OS layer.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, October 15, 2020 4:21 PM
    Owner
  • If you want to bypass the automatic market detection (which can be based on reverse-IP lookup if nothing else is available - IPV6 is problematic for reverse IP location lookup), you can explicitly set your region. On the bing homepage, click the settings option under the menu in the upper right and pick English-UK.
    Friday, October 16, 2020 6:32 PM