Problem with video controller unable to install on this version of windows build 8102

Question

• I have a sony vaio VGN FS980 running intel chipset g915   Currently the video is choppy and the driver is not installed for my video controller.
    When I update driver by windows i get the error this driver is not for this version of windows. when I do it manually from sonys driver download website i get the same error. When I do it using compatibility settings I get the same error. Please address the sony video controller install issues for intels g915 chipset in an automatic update.
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:20 AM

All replies

• Did you download the correct driver?

Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Have you tried to download Windows 7 version of driver?

Follow steps on:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/troubleshoot-compatibility-issues-in-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

If problem did not solved, you could report it to your driver's support website and also please some more detail of your driver version and Windows version and how did you install Windows 8 (upgrade from Windows 7 or Clean install?).

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:47 AM
  • I always tried only 32 bit versions since i only use 32 bit os. I tried the xp driver didnt work  and then the vista driver  download in both normal windows 8 mode and windows 8 compatability mode. Driver download is from sony Link is

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNFS980&upd_id=1989&os_group_id=13 

Looks like the video controller driver only comes in xp format but even this one under compatibility mode did not work.

According to microsoft vista based drivers should work with windows 7 and 8 os, however this is an xp based driver

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:10 AM
  • For Windows 8, you have to look for drivers for Windows 7 and in your case since it is not available, you should try driver for Windows Vista.

In this case, there is compatibility issue , so I suggest report this to Sony by contact their customer service. Windows Product Team also will monitor this forum and try to take note of compatibility issues.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:16 AM