JavaScript Debugging Not working with VS2012 RC

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Could you right click on the folder c:\program files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug, select properties, security tab, does "All Application Packages" have read and execute privileges?

Does any debugging work e.g. create a non-Metro application like a C# console application, set some breakpoints (this will check if this is specific to the script debugger or we have an issue with managed debugging)?

Was this an upgrade scenario from Windows 8 CP to Windows 8 RP?  Was Visual Studio installed to the default directory?

much appreciated,

mike

Monday, June 18, 2012 10:39 PM
  • All Application Packages does not exist in VS7Debug Properties.

Debugging of C# Metro Style apps is working.

Was upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 8 RP.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Thanks Keith,

could you try adding "All Application packages" to the permissions for the folder c:\program files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug e.g.

right click on the folder

select properties

security tab

Advanced button

Click Add

Click on the Select a Principal hyperlink

Change "from this location" to your local computer (click on locations, scroll to the top)

In the Enter the object name, type in All Application Packages, click on check names to verify

Click on OK

Leave the default permissions of Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, click on OK

Try to debug again

Let's see if that helps with debugging.

much appreciated,

mike

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Tried this and still isn't working.
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:19 PM
  • Hi Keith,

I forgot to also ask - does this happen with a new Javascript project e.g. File | New Project | Javascript?

We might need to run a procmon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) log during a debug session.  Please email the log to mikewong at microsoft.com and I can help with the interpretation.

thanks!

mike

Friday, June 22, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Hey guys,

Have we found a resolution to this error yet?

I am running Visual Studio 2012 RC, from a clean install of Windows 8 Release Preview.

I have already checked "All Application packages"  permissions for the folder c:\program files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug and it is there.

It is just the script debugger not attaching to the target metro app and the Javascript Console giving the warning of "Visual Studio is not currently attached to a script debug target that supports browser diagnostics"

Thanks,
    Phill

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:07 AM
  • Same issue here, console.log and debugging does not work
    Monday, September 24, 2012 7:41 PM