none
Errors, Intellisense, etc. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Small Basic is great, but a couple of things could be improved:

1) It's not error-tolerant enough.  If I write a program that says Textwindow.writeline(0/0), the result is "test1.exe has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution".  The good news is that Small Basic itself stays open (although I had one experience where this didn't happen).  More seriously (perhaps) (since the foregoing was deliberately wrong, whereas the upcoming example was a pure mistake on my part):

a = "abc"
    TextWindow.WriteLine(Text.GetSubText(0,1))

also causes "text1.exe has stopped working".  Now, my mistake was to forget to include one of the three parameters in the call to GetSubText.  But Small Basic should really display a friendly informative error message to the user, rather than "test1.exe has stopped working".

2) The intellisense could be much improved.  For instance, it would be great if, after typing  TextWindow.ForegroundColor=  I received a list of available colours, rather than having to remember what they are. 

There is further scope for intellisense or even autocorrection which could be helpful: for instance, instead of "Expected Then here", why doesn't the compiler simply add in the missing Thens?

Nevertheless it's an excellent start for the new language.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 6:48 PM

All replies

• I am under the assumption this small basic program is suppose to help people learn to program. So having the program fix your mistakes for you doesnt help much in that area.

I like the idea of adding the possible color choices. That would help for a beginner like me. I know there are other areas where showing my choices would help greatly but I cant think of them at this moment.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:45 AM
  • I agree. Also, if one forgets to include "()" after a blank operation (such as Program.End), Small Basic's compiler states there is an error. This is very annoying! Also, there should be a link to the excellent "Introducing Small Basic" help PDF within Small Basic. 
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:58 AM
  • One annoying thing I've seen is when typing parameters into a multiparam function like DrawImage the intellisense will quit as soon as you start entering the first parameter. You then need to click on the function name to get intellisense back. Could be very confusing for the kiddies.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:42 AM