none
PowerSettingRegisterNotification Not working on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

In my application I have used PowerSettingRegisterNotification function for registering for Monitor Screen state notification as below.

static_DEVICE_NOTIFY_SUBSCRIBE_PARAMETERSScreenEventParams = {

isConnectedStandby,

pDevContext

};

retResult = PowerSettingRegisterNotification(

&GUID_CONSOLE_DISPLAY_STATE,

DEVICE_NOTIFY_CALLBACK,

&ScreenEventParams,

&m_RegistrationHandle

);

The function is supported from Windows 7 [desktop apps only]. But DEVICE_NOTIFY_SUBSCRIBE_PARAMETERS is supported from windows 8 on wards.

When application runs on Windows 7 the returned code from the API is INVALID PARAMETER.

Please suggest the alternative API or Input structure to pass for the function.

Thanks,

Prakash Manannavar.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:58 AM

Answers

• The docs for PowerSettingRegisterNotification are wrong. DEVICE_NOTIFY_CALLBACK is not a supported Flag for win7.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:33 PM

All replies

• the third parameter is a handle, not a pointer to a struct. if DEVICE_NOTIFY_CALLBACKis specified, I would think a raw function pointer is value for Recipient. perhaps your callback is being invoked immediately at the docs indicate (ie isConnectedStandby is called) and you are returning an error code.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:16 AM
  • @ the last in the link mention below, tells that

if DEVICE_NOTIFY_CALLBACK is specified

the callback method passed in must have a signature as defined by

DEVICE_NOTIFY_SUBSCRIBE_PARAMETERS.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh769082(v=vs.85).aspx

I have used the RAW function pointer for isConnectedStandby function directly but it didn't work.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:31 AM
  • nowhere on the MSDN page you reference does it say that DEVICE_NOTIFY_CALLBACK is the structure to pass for Recipient to specify the callback. Only PowerRegisterSuspendResumeNotification function (NOT PowerSettingRegisterNotification) specifies this structure as the way to pass in the callback

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:41 AM
  • In link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh769082(v=vs.85).aspx

There is "Community Additions" sections after "See also".

Please parse till End of the page. There is comment from Jeff Miller.

With input of DEVICE_NOTIFY_SUBSCRIBE_PARAMETERS structure only I was able to succeed with the API on windows 8.x.

Thanks,

Prakash

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:47 AM
  • that comment says the signature must match the one documented for DEVICE_NOTIFY_SUBSCRIBE_PARAMETERS , it does not say that DEVICE_NOTIFY_SUBSCRIBE_PARAMETERS is the parameter.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 6:49 PM
  • The docs for PowerSettingRegisterNotification are wrong. DEVICE_NOTIFY_CALLBACK is not a supported Flag for win7.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:33 PM
  • Dear Doron Holan,

Is there any way to get notification for Screen state(Screen ON/OFF/DIM) change in Windows 7?

Any other windows API, that can help me to achieve same.

Thanks,

Prakash

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 6:18 AM
  • Hi Prakash,

I am facing the same problem too & have not been able to find much on this on internet. I am sure, by now you would have resolved this problem.

Could you please share your solution with us?

Regards.

Nitin

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:27 AM
  • Hi Nitin,

I have tried other methods to achieve the feature but it was failure.

In my case during monitor screen off my device has to complete all IOCTLs. I achieve this with virtual driver before going for transition.

~~

Prakash

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:08 AM