create new sql database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, im new in sql and im using vb express 2008. i try to "create new sql database" under "data connection" of "database explorer", but i found that the "create new sql databse" was disabled. may i know what is going of with it??
    Monday, February 23, 2009 4:53 AM

All replies

• This is not the right place to ask this question.
    Thanks, A.m.a.L
    • Proposed as answer by Kenky Dude Friday, March 6, 2009 6:36 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:33 AM
  • This is correct. I believe that you can only create a SQL Server Compact Edition database from the Express version of Visual Basic.

However, you can use SQL Server Management Studio Express to create a SQL Server database:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7522A683-4CB2-454E-B908-E805E9BD4E28&displaylang=en

Also, keep in mind that the data designer tools in Visual Basic Express Edition only support Access, SQL Server Compact Edition and SQL Server Express Edition databases.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by rhastalei Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rhastalei Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:23 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:25 PM
  • thank you very much..

in ODBS under admistrative tools in control panel, we can create System Data Source and link that data source to connected sql server. what i want to do is to log all data using vb2008 and save all data to the server created in System Data Source. may i know the way to upload data to server through system data source??

i have created .mdf, .ldf and .sql file in my program folder, i do ned to place the .sql file to the server right? how can my program link with server through ethernet??

thank you for viewing..
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:20 AM
  • Hi rhastalei,

I am moving this thread from Base "Visual Basic" forum to the "SQL Server Data Access" forum, since the issue is related to SQL Server. There are more  experts in the that forum.

Best Regards

Yichun Feng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 7:36 AM
  • thank you very much...
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:46 AM
  • In your second question, you do not need to create a DSN unless there is some reason that ODBC is required for your application. That method is old and dated.

Use the native .NET SQL Server library instead. You can start with the SQLConnection class.

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing with the SQL script file (.sql). Are you trying to deploy your database to another system?
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, March 6, 2009 1:26 PM