The permissions granted to user (user name) are insufficient for performing this operation. (rsAccessDenied) RRS feed

• Question

• I added a new report and my user gets this when accessing a report.  This report is in a Report Library with other reports. Permissions inherit from the parent.   The user can access the other reports.  I as admin can access the report fine. 

Any ideas?
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

• Yes,
    Making user member of db_datareader will not give them automatic right to view data. You need to give user 'select' rights on the tables used by report or execute if stored procedure is used.

Regards
    Ivan Bondy - MCPD, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS - Sharepoint consultant
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:11 PM

All replies

• Hello,
     Your user may not have rights to pull data from SQL server.
    Check your reports connection string and users access right at the SQL server.

Regards
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Checked the users access rights.  Here is the scenerio:

Both reports use the same user login and is setup the same on both servers.
    Report 1 - Myself as Admin and the user can run the report.  
       Credentials for the data source in Sharepoint is (using stored credentials:  User name = USERXXX  Passord = zzzz and use windows credentials)
    This report runs from SERVER-01.  User (USERXXX ) setup as login, server role = public, mapping for DB is public and db_datareader.  Public is set up as server role.

Report 2 - Myself as Admin can run the report.  The user get the access error when trying to run the report.
       Credentials for the data source in Sharepoint is (using stored credentials:  User name = USERXXX  Passord = zzzz and use windows credentials)
    This report runs from SERVER-02.  User (USERXXX ) setup as login, server role = public, mapping for DB is public and db_datareader.  Public is set up as server role.

The connection string is correct since I can run the report.

Am I still missing something?

Thursday, August 14, 2008 6:50 PM
  • Yes,
    Making user member of db_datareader will not give them automatic right to view data. You need to give user 'select' rights on the tables used by report or execute if stored procedure is used.

Regards
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:11 PM