none
File Chooser takes a long time to launch

Question

• Hi,

I'm having an issue in my software where it takes a long time for the file chooser to load. Disconnecting the network cable and plugging it back in seems to make it load immediately. It doesn't seem to be happening in other programs, just this one software I'm testing. From my research online there are other software exhibiting the same behavior including Google Chrome. Does Microsoft happen to be aware of what the problem is?

Thanks,

Henny.

• Edited by Henny T Monday, May 30, 2016 1:04 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2016 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Henny,

>>I'm having an issue in my software where it takes a long time for the file chooser to load.

Actually this forum is to discuss the VS IDE, do you use the VS IDE to create or develop this software/app or others? How did you choose a file in your side?

>>From my research online there are other software exhibiting the same behavior including Google Chrome. Does Microsoft happen to be aware of what the problem is?

Do you mean that the browser also has the performance issue when you open a file?

If possible, please share us more detailed information, maybe I could provide the correct forum or useful information.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:14 AM
  • I test the software but the software is indeed developed using VS.

It happens in the following scenarios:

- Save
    - Open
    - Import

What happens is when I click any of the above actions then my software freezes for an unknown amount of time without showing the file dialog (sometimes even 10 minutes), but as soon as I unplug and re-plug in my network cable the dialog comes up right away. It happens in Windows 10 more frequently than Windows 7 and it seems software specific. I haven't had any issues personally with Chrome since I don't save or open things in Chrome that way, but you can see the problem here.

I have tried updating my network card but it didn't help.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:39 PM
  • Hi Henny T,

Thanks for your friendly response.

>>I test the software but the software is indeed developed using VS.

VS IDE just is a tool, the developers could use it to develop the software by themselves. One important issue is that whether this software was developed by yourself or your developing team or you download/buy it from a company/site or others, as you said that this software was developed using VS, so we would contract this issue with the developing team or the product company. My understanding is that it would be related to the specific project, not the real VS IDE. Of course, if you develop the project by yourself, which kind of developing language did you use? What is the project type? Maybe I could provide you a more appropriate developing team.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 5:46 AM
  • It is developed by a team using C++ I believe. I was hoping someone might have some insight re: how to resolve the issue so I can point the developers in the right direction. It is happening mostly on Windows 10 machines though once in a while you see it on our Win 7 machines.

If this is the wrong forum to post please also kindly let me know where else I can go to ask the question.

Thank you for your quick and informative response.

Regards,

Henny.

• Edited by Henny T Wednesday, June 01, 2016 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, June 01, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi Henny,

Thanks for your friendly response.

Sorry for that I forget to ask certain issues, do you have the project source code? Do you use the Visual Studio? If you just install the software(setup file) in your machine and test it manually, I suggest you discuss this issue with the developing team, as you said that "It is developed by a team using C++ I believe. " Maybe they would improve this software's performance during developing time.

If you have the project source code, and run the VC++ app using the Visual Studio IDE, maybe you use collect the code coverage, so we could optimize the project code. Of course, you could also let the developing team to check it using this way if you have no source code.

Or run the app in release mode of VS, check it again.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wx0123s5.aspx

If I have misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

Thursday, June 02, 2016 10:14 AM