none
Drop-down dependent upon a column's value in SP list RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried many rules, filters, etc. and have been unable to figure this out.

Fully functioning form - not browser enabled

Description:

I have a SP list that contains 2 columns - 1 column lists brands, the other column lists classification (There are 2 types of classifications. One is "Residential" the other is "Commercial". So this means that it tells whether or not a certain brand is classified as "Commercial" or "Residential"

I have a drop-down menu within my form that has a data connection to the list that I was describing above. I want the drop-down to list the brands contained within the "Brand" column. That is no problem; I can do that. I want the drop-down to be only populated with the "Residential" brands if the "Residential" button within the form is selected or to be only populated with "Commercial" brands if the "Commercial" button within the form is selected.

Here is what I have tried so far, which I thought would work:
    1. Open the properties dialog for the "discount_grid_brand_selector" drop-down.
    2. Selected "look up values from an external data source".
    3. Selected the data source which is the SharePoint list of brands and classifications
    4. Selected the "Brand" field/column from the SharePoint list
    5. Went back to the properties dialog for the "discount_grid_brand_selector" drop-down and clicked "rules".
    6. Add rule with condition "business_unit" is equal to "Residential (see desc)"  ----- "business_unit" is the radio button when residential is selected the value when selected is "Residential (see desc)"
    7. Add action to set "discount_grid_brand_selector" to the value of "Brand" from the data source (sharepoint list) with a filter of "Classification" (from the list) is equal to "Residential"

From here, when I go to preview the form, I select the appropriate button, and the "discount_grid_brand_selector" drop-down is still populated with ALL of the brands from the list, not only the "Residential" ones. I have made sure that the casing of my letters is all correct.

Any help? I know this is crazy and probably hard to visualize, so I definitely understand if no one responds... haha.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:46 PM

Answers

• Don't use a rule for this, but rather a filter.  Go back to step 4 above and click "Filter."  Then, filter it to show brands where business_unit is equal to list_classification.  As long as your radio buttons are set where their checked values are equal to the exact syntax of the classification name in SharePoint, then the dropdown list will filter properly and only show the proper brands.  Remember that this only can be done this way in rich client, but it does work very well.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    • Marked as answer by SP Brian Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:56 PM

All replies

• Don't use a rule for this, but rather a filter.  Go back to step 4 above and click "Filter."  Then, filter it to show brands where business_unit is equal to list_classification.  As long as your radio buttons are set where their checked values are equal to the exact syntax of the classification name in SharePoint, then the dropdown list will filter properly and only show the proper brands.  Remember that this only can be done this way in rich client, but it does work very well.
    • Marked as answer by SP Brian Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Perfect. I was making it more complicated than it should be. All it required me to change was the "value when selected" of each radio button to the values under the "Classification" column of the SP list. Works like a charm.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:12 PM
  • How many answers is that now?  I should be charging for all this.  =P
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Haha, I know Clayton. You have been great to me. I have taken what you have told in the past and applied it to many situations. I also look into things more now than before, trying to figure it out on my own. Good learning experience through trial and error, but when I can't get it to work, you guide me through it.

You are like Yoda. I am your apprentice.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Best way to learn, in my opinion.  I have had the most retention when I had to fumble through it with trial and error to learn it myself.  I did not have a Yoda to help me, but that's because I didn't know to come here and ask.  I didn't stumble up on this and InfoPathDev.com until a few months ago.  Anyway, you're doing a great job of digging in deep and figuring out how to apply the new concepts you learn to many situations.  That is the key to codeless "programming" in InfoPath, imo.  It's one thing to follow a blog and get something working.  It's quite another to truly understand what's happening and how it can apply elsewhere.  You're achieving that as an intern, which is some great learning experience before joining the workforce.  You will be well-prepared for much when you start your real job.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Thank you, I really appreciate what you said and for the help that you provide. This form on which I have been focusing for a while now is constantly evolving. As I see the workflow process, I begin to see what features/information were left out of the old form and how I can change this new InfoPath form to gather all of the data we need to reduce manual workflow/data gathering. As I go through the multiple people that touch this form, more and more features are added because of the information they need. It's amazing how complicated this codeless programming can get. It is great that people are able to do the things that they can being that the program is end-user friendly and does not require any code unless you want to get extremely complicated.

Once again, thank you for your help.
    • Edited by SP Brian Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:32 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:32 PM
  • >How many answers is that now?  I should be charging for all this.

Clayton, I'd be grateful if you'd drop this kind of comment. We've just had several off-topic messages in another thread that have arisen because of a jokey comment you made about being able to do something for 150 dollars.

Don't forget that more than ever before this is a forum with an international audience many of which don't get the difference between a jokey and a serious remark.

(and in any case, threads are long enough without having meaningless posts in them)

(moderator hat on)

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 4:12 AM
  • Twice out of 686 posts and 131 answers didn't seem unreasonable to me, but oh well.  If I can't show a sense of humor .3% of the time, then I guess it can't be shown at all even when spending the other 99.7% of the time helping people.  Can't win for losing...
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:12 AM