none
Error 2203 across different installers and corrupt .NET Framework 4.5 install RRS feed

• Question

• I've read through a great deal of similarly titled threads around here, but they're either too old to be reliable or offer no relevant solutions to my case.

I ran the NetFxRepairTool but with no success (log files).

I then ran Aaron's Cleanup Tool successfully. But after a restart, running .NET Framework 4.5.2 Offline Installer resulted in an error 0x80070643 (log files)

Tried installing SubInACL to test this, but since it's also an .msi package it failed to run (system can't find the device or file specified Internal Error 2755. 110,)

I have no idea what's happening here, i did mess with security permissions for system junctions and folders at one time (i didn't know better) which had the marvelous result of causing a lovely Application Data folder replication. I did have to manually delete Registry entries for a problematic software i was having a very hard time uninstalling (Extensis Suitcase Fusion), but this Windows Installer issue may predate that. I've also used CCleaner with a few CCEnhancer options enabled that i probably know too little about to be using.

Formatting is sounding more and more like a sensible option, but i've spent such enormous amounts of time customizing my system and applications to run perfectly i'm even dreading a quick system restore at this point.

Can anyone offer any better ideas?

[Running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64]

EDIT: On second thought, this issue probably originated after a couple of system restores i was forced to do a week ago, because my computer was failing to boot. When i finally managed to return to Windows, a number of shortcuts pointing to environment variables were not working any more and a few uninstall entries were also broken. Since this was easy to fix i didn't give it much thought, the problems it seems weren't that superficial...

• Edited by lifemare Friday, September 5, 2014 2:47 PM more info
    Friday, September 5, 2014 1:02 PM

Answers

• Hi lifemare,

From all the above information, you have used the .NET Framework repair tool and the system file checker tool (sfc.exe) to repair the .NET Framework, it seems like a system issue. Since you don't want to reinstall OS, I think you need to ask in answer forum. That forum is used to help solve problems related with windows.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:45 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 9:21 AM

All replies

• The error you cite ( error 0x80070643) translates to Error 1603, the generic Fatal Error.

From you logs, the core issue is "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203."

Don't know if you've seen these, but...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/06/09/624546.aspx

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a4eb2670-183e-4b9f-87d2-7a0da6b19012/visual-studio-2012-ultimate-microsoft-visual-c-2012-compilers-enu-resources-package-failed?forum=vssetup

2203 is a package problem error, not specific to .NET. This could be the download package itself, or issues you mentioned in your OS.

Saturday, September 6, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Thank you for the help pvdg!

Took me a while to reply, because on top of all this, my computer's charger decided to die last friday :(

I may have posted this question on the wrong place, since, you're right, this problem is affecting a whole lot of other installed programs. I seem to have a lot more corrupt uninstall entries than i first realized. Namely, all the Visual C++ Redists, MSXML, XNA Frameworks, etc, etc.

My guess is that the System Restore i did a while back didn't complete correctly (despite having received no error messages).

Unfortunately i can't even do another Restore to a previous point, since the oldest available option is to undo the one i did.

I haven't ran SFC... could it be of any use in this situation?

I ran this tool and tested it on a corrupt uninstall entry (Acrobat), but, although it recognized registry problems and applied a fix, the entry remains corrupt.

EDIT: The 2012 Visual C++ Redists are correctly installed and working, only the older ones aren't (2005 to 2010 - yeah, i have them all installed). So your second link doesn't look like it will do any good. And the only relevant help on the first link points to the subinacl tool i mentioned i wasn't able to run... :(

• Edited by lifemare Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:38 PM
  • Ran a registry cleaner scan, if you'd care to take a look at the log.

Over 1000 errors found, a huge part of which are missing Application Paths from CurrentVersion\Installer...

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Given all the issues you've cited, I suggest an OS reinstall.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 9:35 PM
  • I was hoping you wouldn't say that!... Though i was kind of expecting it already.
    Considering the amount of time it would take me to get my system up and running again with all the applications i use, all the inner settings customizations, all the system tweaks, etc, etc, etc... i will rather resign to not ever installing another .msi and just keep it running the way it is...

Maybe some Installer Cache Repair tool will come along before this problem drives me insane.... :´(

Thanks for the help nonetheless pvdg.
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:09 PM
  • Hi lifemare,

From all the above information, you have used the .NET Framework repair tool and the system file checker tool (sfc.exe) to repair the .NET Framework, it seems like a system issue. Since you don't want to reinstall OS, I think you need to ask in answer forum. That forum is used to help solve problems related with windows.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Tuesday, September 23, 2014 1:45 AM
    Friday, September 19, 2014 9:21 AM