Start Menu and All Programs Menu

General discussion

• I see a lot of people in the forums asking about programs that normally come with windows, but have no link to them in WDP. Some people seem to assume that because of this, the legacy desktop is useless. Not so. The Start Menu folder is still there on the drive. There's just no Start Menu. (Stupid, I know.) This can be overcome. The path to the Start Menu folder is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu. Right click on the taskbar and from the menu select Toolbars, then New Toolbar. Then browse to the aforementioned path and select the Start Menu folder. You will find that all the handy accessories that come with Windows, as well as Administrative Tools are still there. The games aren't, which sux because I rather liked Mahjong. Just some information for people trying to figure out how to use WDP the same ways they use Windows 7. Of course, when the beta comes out, Microsoft will probably have removed it completely, but for now it's there.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:56 PM

All replies

• To add to rdbrooks's post, if you put a shortcut on the Desktop to msconfig, the Tools Tab gives access to about 18 programs, which include regedit, event viewer, ipconfig, system restore and command prompt. It’s also useful to have one to Control Panel rather than accessing it via the Metro UI.

• Edited by BurrWalnut Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:57 PM
  • More good info. I just wonder if the folder structure for the start menu will still exist by the time the RTM comes out. One of the main reasons I need the start menu is because some programs that I install (mostly useful freeware programs that serve specific purposes when I need them) don't place a shortcut on the desktop. It would be really nice if the final release has a real start menu like windows 7. It could have a button at the bottom of it to return to Metro. By the way, WDP seems to have excellent support for a lot of older programs that were written for XP. It even has better support for a couple of old games I've run than I had in Vista or 7. One in particular that I still enjoy is a windows 98 DirectX 6 game called Supreme Snowboarding. It ran best on XP, but was nearly useless on Vista and 7. It is better than ever on WDP. Another oldie I like to play on the home network with my daughters is Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition. It runs great on WDP. (Some graphics were glitchy in Vista and 7.) But the package for IPX network support that somebody put out on the web for Vista doesn't work. It installs and shows in network properties, but the game doesn't see it. It never worked on 7, either. I really wish it could. Doom95 works great on WDP as well. (I play newer games too, but I still love some of those earlier, simpler games.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Ok, here's my counter point.

ALL applications are there to view. In the metro UI - type a letter. Now hit the backspace key - BANG you will see ALL YOUR PROGRAMS listed.

You want administrative tools?

Type Admin then click on Settings (under the search box) you will see it shown.

Event viewer? Same thing. It is FAST and much better than the old start menu.

Regedit? Type regedit and it will be listed under apps.

Need to run a program as administrator? Do the same as above but before you click on the item RIGHT CLICK ON IT INSTEAD. A checkmark will appear and at the bottom right you will see "Advanced" select that and choose run as administrator as one of the options that show up.

I hope this helps.

=-Chris

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:12 AM
  • I appreciate your input and shipping of Metro, but no, this doesn't help. I already knew about these features. When I click search from Metro and look at my applications list, it is so far 19 columns wide, which is ridiculous to sidescroll through to find what I'm looking for, and only about 50% of the applications and games I've installed are even listed. On the Metro Start screen, tiles were created for only about 25-30% of the programs I've installed. Dozens of tiles were created for settings and uninstallers for the software that did show up on the Metro Start screen, which I had to delete 1 at a time to get my Start screen back down to 2 pages instead of 5. Everything you suggested is more time consuming than the way I've always been able to do those things since windows 98. Also, the only place on WDP that I can bring up a comprehensive list of the programs I've installed is from the old Start Menu folder. I've heard a lot of people say that the way Microsoft has done it for the past 15 years is getting old and it's time for a change. Well, for several years, linux distributions have tried to do things a little different, but what always works is very similar to the way windows has always worked. Could it be that maybe the reason windows has worked pretty much the same all these years is because they did it right in the first place?
    Friday, October 14, 2011 11:14 PM
  • On the other side of the coin, for a touchscreen device that doesn't have a mouse and keyboard, the Metro environment is completely, absolutely necessary, and Chris, I must say that all the features you mentioned are quite impressive for that market. I think Windows 8 Metro tablets and all-in-one touchscreen PCs are going to be wonderful. I plan to have one myself, one day. Microsoft has, even at this early stage of development, done an excellent job in building an OS for the finger. I think my main point is that Windows 8 will be targeting 2 very different markets. People that are heavily into touchscreen devices will love Metro, and they will hate it when they are taken to the classic desktop for applications that don't run in Metro. Right now, that's probably at least 25% of the consumer market, and will probably increase a bit by the time Metro is released. Still, at least half of the market is driven by PC enthusiasts, PC builders, gamers, and businesses that want familiarity in an OS. Builders, like myself, will especially want the ability to build a low-cost, non-touch PC, and a retail OS that will act in a traditional manner on that platform. Microsoft realizes all of this, so they intend to have it both ways. I personally believe that if Microsoft releases Windows 8 and the classic desktop is incomplete, many long-time windows users will look to alternative operating systems. And there are some impressive ones out there, with many more in development. Some people will like switching back and forth between Metro and classic windows to do different things, but most will want to use one or the other. Metro is complete and still getting better for those who will use it. Classic windows is not complete without the Start Menu. If you were Microsoft, what reaction would you prefer from the many people who won't be interested in Metro? Would you rather see them post comments all over the web saying, "Windows 8 is horrible! It's worse than Vista was," or would you rather them say, "Windows 8 is wonderful! They didn't change a thing! It even works better than Windows 7!" If Microsoft wants to have it both ways, they need to truely, completely have it both ways.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Chris, I have to admit that's pretty cool what happens when you type any letter while you're looking at the Metro Start screen. I hadn't noticed that, but like I said, many of the applications I've installed aren't recognized by Metro, so they're not listed. There are also times that I sit down at the PC, having no idea what I want to do, so I bring up the All Programs list to help me decide. That's much easier on the old start menu.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 3:54 AM