none
Will Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (not Core) run on the Intel Joule? RRS feed

• Question

• Have a question.  Can Windows 10 IoT Enterprise run on an Intel Joule?  I know that it will run Windows 10 IoT Core [grin], I am doing that right now.  Have done a little searching and it is hard to wade through all the search results that are really talking about Core.  Thanks.
    Friday, February 10, 2017 11:18 PM

All replies

• I installed Windows 10 IoT Enterprise 64-bit on the Intel Joule 570x. There is not allot of room left and many of the device drives are missing. It was a nice exercise, but there is not much that can be done with it. Per the Joule website, the Joule only supports Windows 10 IoT Core and a couple Linux distributions.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:16 AM
  • Sean:

Thanks for your input.  Was thinking that the Joule is basically a PC and it should be possible to install the the Windows 10 IoT Enterprise to the removable SD card (as I don't believe that the eMMC would have the capacity).  Was thinking of trying a LTSB version of Windows 10.

Thanks

Dan

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:01 PM
  • The LTSB version is the one I installed. I don't see support for SD card boot in Windows 10 Enterprise, but you can always give it a shot and find out.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 5:59 AM
  • Sean:

Just tried this today...  Thought I might provide a little more information if anyone is curious.

I was successful in installing Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB on the Joule.  I am using the 570 Joule that has 16GB of eMMC flash.  After installation, the footprint of the OS was 10.7GB.  Video, USB, USB Ethernet dongle, Mouse, just worked.  Was kind of surprised.  There are a bunch of drivers that are missing when I look at System Information.  I am currently doing an update to see if the unkown drivers are fixed.  I kind of expect to run out of flash.  We will see...

FYI.  In this initial state, Windows 10 Enterprise in an idle mode draws ~0.40A @ 12V = 4.8W.  If I grab an Internet Explorer window and drag it around the desktop, draw is ~0.50A @ 12V = 6.0W. 

Going to start another thread about power.

Dan

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:54 PM
  • This would be great if you could get the hardware io drivers working (GPIO, I2C, SPI, ect). 

Roy

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:43 PM