none
Using Mouse with WinCE RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is the right forum, hoping someone can help. 

I have a small WinCE device - a Chinese GPS unit - using Windows Embedded CE v6.00 (Build 0 on Sep 15 2014). I simply want the ability to plug a mouse into the mini USB port so that I can click the left mouse button rather than the touch screen (I don't even need to move the mouse pointer as I want to hit a 'button' at the centre of the screen. When I plug in the mouse, it recognises there is something there but seems to be searching for a driver which doesn't exist. How do I create a suitable driver and how do I install it?

Thanks, Nick

Saturday, September 22, 2018 11:15 PM

Answers

• There aren't a lot of options for you - but that is the definition of an embedded device like a GPS or navigation system.

You have three options - all of which are dependent on the OEM.

1. Contact the OEM of the device

2. Purchase an MSDN subscription from Microsoft, download Platform Builder for Windows CE 6.0, then  build the driver yourself, but how you install it is up to the OEM of the device - we can't help you with that.  NOTE:  The cost of the MSDN subscription is high and the time needed to figure out how to build the driver is great - so this is not a good option.

3.  Hire a consultant to do it for you - but they will need information from your OEM or access to the device to reverse engineer it.

So, you will need to decide if this effort is worth pursuing.

I agree with Guido about it being an installation problem - that is the biggest problem.  But obtaining the driver is also a big problem.

Bruce Eitman
    Senior Enginer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Synopsys DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for
    Synopsys

Monday, October 8, 2018 2:56 PM

All replies

• There aren't a lot of options for you - but that is the definition of an embedded device like a GPS or navigation system.

You have three options - all of which are dependent on the OEM.

1. Contact the OEM of the device

2. Purchase an MSDN subscription from Microsoft, download Platform Builder for Windows CE 6.0, then  build the driver yourself, but how you install it is up to the OEM of the device - we can't help you with that.  NOTE:  The cost of the MSDN subscription is high and the time needed to figure out how to build the driver is great - so this is not a good option.

3.  Hire a consultant to do it for you - but they will need information from your OEM or access to the device to reverse engineer it.

So, you will need to decide if this effort is worth pursuing.

I agree with Guido about it being an installation problem - that is the biggest problem.  But obtaining the driver is also a big problem.

Bruce Eitman
    Senior Enginer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Synopsys DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for
    Synopsys

Monday, October 8, 2018 2:56 PM
  • - a Chinese GPS unit - using Windows Embedded CE v6.00 (Build 0 on Sep 15 2014).

Hi Nick,

You would be better off building your own device to do exactly what you need.  Without OEM support, you are unlikely to be able to build a compatible driver.  The fact that this says Build 0 is actually a bad sign.  It tells me that this was a single built target device and likely it does not have a valid license (License field is likely all zeros)  Many of these flooded the market and the OEM provides no support as if they were identified they would be targeted for invalid licenses.

This is just my guess though from previous devices, hopefully you purchased from a reputable OEM that will support you.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, October 8, 2018 3:20 PM