Working on a project solution with 2 PCs (Visual studio express 2013, update 3)

Question

• Dear friends,

I have a desktop pc and a laptop with Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows update 3 on both of them. I am writing a universal app and I would like to work on both my computers on the same project. I tried to move the project folder on One Drive. It seems to work fine for the desktop PC. However, when I try to open the solution on my laptop, I get an error message stating that "This edition of visual studio only supports Windows Store apps". Visual Studio works fine with other local projects. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Andrea

Thursday, September 04, 2014 5:07 PM

Answers

• I would recommend you to use Visual Studio online for syncing the project after every session on your machine and then resync before you start again on the other machine.

Visual Studio online is free for all developers.

Saturday, September 06, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hi Andrea,

That is really interesting question. I tested on my machine, I also meet the same problem. What I do is to copy the file from OneDrive folder to local folder and everything works fine.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As per your error message, I doubt if you have correct version on your laptop.

Please double check the software and hardware requirements. 

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads#d-express-windows-8

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs

Specially for Windows Phone emulators, you need SLAT based processor.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff626524(v=vs.105).aspx

-Malleswar

Thursday, September 04, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Thank you for the answer. I noticed that each PC can only open projects created on that PC. However, if I move the project folder with the other PC in another location of the physical hard drive (and then back to OneDrive), I can access the solution. Then, I will have to do the same on the other PC to reaccess the file. This looks really strange. I'm sure both PCs are equipped with the same version of Visual Studio.

Andrea

Saturday, September 06, 2014 2:42 PM
  • I would recommend you to use Visual Studio online for syncing the project after every session on your machine and then resync before you start again on the other machine.

Visual Studio online is free for all developers.

Saturday, September 06, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hi Andrea,

That is really interesting question. I tested on my machine, I also meet the same problem. What I do is to copy the file from OneDrive folder to local folder and everything works fine.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:39 AM
  • I have the same problem between my laptop and my Surface Pro 2.  It sucks that we have to use work-arounds. Hello Microsoft!  It would be nice to know why this is happening and if its on the schedule to be fixed.  It kind of defeats the utility of OneDerive.

Charles Santos

Monday, October 20, 2014 8:14 PM