Question to Expression Design PM's RRS feed

• Question

• What is the official goal for Expression Design?

I would love to see it as a serious competitor to Adobe Illustrator and support standard formats like EPS so I could design vector graphics and sell on vectorstock.com and sites like that as well as use it to do commercial illustration/publication design.

My fear is that Expression Design only exists to fill the gap where WPF and Sliverlight apps need a vector designer that outputs XAML and that competition with products like Adobe Illustrator are merely a side effect of being a vector design tool. All of the marketing at http://www.microsoft.com/expression seems to indication it is just a companion to generate XAML for blend, so I think my fears are well founded:

Quoted from the website:
    "
    Expand Your Portfolio - Expression Design is the perfect companion to Expression Blend. Quickly build sophisticated vector assets then seamlessly transfer them via XAML to your Expression Blend projects.

Designed for Creativity - Unleash your creativity with innovative vector drawing tools and non-destructive effects that you can apply to either vector or imported bitmapped images. Apply both hard-edged and organic strokes while maintaining the flexibility of vector paths. Expression Design has been built from the ground up for designers by designers.

Your Vision, Uncompromised - Create assets knowing that their fidelity will be maintained throughout the entire designer-developer workflow. From Expression Design through Expression Blend to Visual Studio, graphics, user interface elements and design assets move seamlessly from your initial concepts to the finished product. Your original vision, fully realized.
    "

Essentially, I would like to avoid purchasingly Adobe Illustrator if MS ED plans to compete in that space. However, if this is not the goal, I will probably buy Illustrator and do all my publication design there and just use MS ED when I need to create XAML output.

Can a PM shed any light on what MS's goal and purpose for ED is?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• Sadly I think you are right. I would LOVE MS to go back to Expression 3.3 (Which you can get free from Ms) and develop it into 'Expression Illustrator' and sell it on it's own. 3.3 is still way beyond Design which in my opinion has turned into the MS version of Fireworks. I for one have not 'upgraded' because of the loss of functionality and that fact that I would have to buy a whole suite of apps that I don't need (and none of my clients use).

By the way. For day to day vector graphics I use Xara Xtreme. It is WAY faster (and cheaper) than the dreaded Illustrator for most stuff  - If you are trying to avoid the Adobe app

Huge Regards Dave www.squeakypics.co.uk/blog
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:36 AM
  • I will have to download Expression 3.3 and see how different it is. I really feel like MS ED has a lot of potential. Since I started using it, my creative juices have really started flowing and I have been experimenting will all types of typography design and even created a company logo for a friend's lawn care service. I have a really old version of Adobe Illustrator (8 i think) and by comparison I think Illustrator is pretty bland. (maybe newer version is better).

Thanks for the tip on Xara Xtreme, I will look into that.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:51 PM
  • By the way. For day to day vector graphics I use Xara Xtreme. It is WAY faster (and cheaper) than the dreaded Illustrator for most stuff  - If you are trying to avoid the Adobe app

How do you export from xara and import into Design?

I made a star in xara, applied a circular gradient fill, exported as .ai, imported into design. The import failed with no explanation.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:17 AM
  • Hi Person123
    I didn't ever 'upgrade' to Design and still have Expression 3.3. So I can't really help you with that.
    That being said Xara ai's and eps's don't seem to open in 3.3 either (even from th new Xtreme Pro 5).

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:48 AM