none
How to trace a specific request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

My scenario is: there is a asp.net application. a few end-users get very slow response. I need to know the time period of every steps/stack: how much time the IIS dispatch the request, how much time the business logic execute, especially, every call stack execute time period, in my scenario, there is a WCF service to provide some data. I also need to know this time period.

Does anyone can give me some related articles?

edit:

To make this question more clear: The application has been developed, I cannot add any more trace code to that application. Does any one know the profile way?

edit: after some research, I know the CLR profiler cannot achieve my goal.

Thanks.

Mike Feng

Mike Feng
    Help me, Help you

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Nice to see you in forum. Hope you are doing well recently. :)

About performance issue, I don't think a tool like profiler is a good start. To troubleshoot the performance issue that only experienced by some of your end users, I think a good start is to narrow down the scenarios. For example, whether all users access your system in same time encountered the same problem. whether the issue occurs during a specific time period.

On client side, I think you can use tools like fiddler to check which calls or procedures are slow when end user is doing an action on the web page. Then you can go to IIS to check IIS log or http.sys to check if there is any problem. By following above steps, I believe you are able to find out which service call is the slow one. And then check if there is any database operation and then troubleshoot db site issues.

Anyway, there is no such tool can capture a end to end performance tracing. We have to narrow down problem step by step. And I don't this CLR queue is the where you can get an answer for troubleshooting ASP.NET or WCF related performance issues.

Try http://forums.asp.net to start troubleshooting. Feel free to let me know if you have any concerns.

Thanks,

Alan Yao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:31 AM

All replies