Build Error when referencing Live SDK RRS feed

• Question

• I get the following build error for my project that references the Live SDK:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets (1701): Could not find SDK "LiveSDKXAML, Version=5.0"

Unlike other errors, which I've been able to resolve by creating a folder in the Source tree structure so that TFS can reference the assemblies, I'm not sure what to do with this one.  My confusion comes from the fact that the "Live SDK" reference in my project doesn't point to a single DLL, it just points to a path, with multiple DLLs and other files on it.  For example, the path to the Live SDK is simply "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Live\v5.0\Metro XAML\"  When you browse to that, there are a lot of files and directories underneath.  What do I need to do to get the TFS build service to handle this?  Thanks.

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post.

I suppose you want to build a win 8 application, but cannot queue the build properly for not able find out the proper SDK. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

An useful article for you to refer about use team build to build win 8 application: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/05/29/team-building-your-windows-8-metro-style-applications.aspx

Form the article, you may note the two important points:
    1. Windows 8 Metro Style applications will only build on a windows 8 machine. This means you can’t reuse your already existing build machines to build metro style applications.
    2. The newly released team foundation build hosted service provided to you on the team foundation service (TFS Preview) does not currently support building windows 8 metro style apps.

So, i think if you use hosted build controller to build your win 8 application, it is not support now. If you configure build machine in local, you need win 8 machine.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by Tim SF Monday, September 17, 2012 12:20 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post.

I suppose you want to build a win 8 application, but cannot queue the build properly for not able find out the proper SDK. If I have misunderstood anything, please free feel to let me know.

An useful article for you to refer about use team build to build win 8 application: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2012/05/29/team-building-your-windows-8-metro-style-applications.aspx

1. Windows 8 Metro Style applications will only build on a windows 8 machine. This means you can’t reuse your already existing build machines to build metro style applications.
    2. The newly released team foundation build hosted service provided to you on the team foundation service (TFS Preview) does not currently support building windows 8 metro style apps.

So, i think if you use hosted build controller to build your win 8 application, it is not support now. If you configure build machine in local, you need win 8 machine.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Tim SF Monday, September 17, 2012 12:20 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for your post.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Hey Lily,

Does this still count ? Because I still receive an error while trying to use an automated build of my application referencing the Live SDK.

I know it works on my (Win8) machine, but that's not ideal ..

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:27 PM