none
How add Graphics Media Accellerator driver using ICW RRS feed

• Question

• In the Distribution Share, Out of Box Drivers, Intel section, there is a driver named Graphics Media Accellerator.  It contains dozens of files including dlls, .irc files, and several .exe files.  I need to get them installed in my image to the video adapter works correctly on my target computer. 

I have tried right clicking on the driver and adding a driver path to Pass 1.  That did not correctly install the driver on my target computer.  I was not able set the target computer video resolution up above a very low level.

So how do I correctly install this driver in my image so I get all the features of my video adapter to work? 

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:14 PM

All replies

• The driver that comes in the distribution share might not be the latest for your hardware. Install Windows 7 first, and install the video driver that comes with the board. if that driver works , set it up in the distribution share and add it to the answer file.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Sean

Thank you for your reply. 

I think the driver is up to date....actually it appears to be newer than the one I got from intel.  Can you give me any tips on how to get the driver properly into the answer file so it works.  The help files are unhelpful.  Adding it to Pass 1 did not cause the driver to work properly. 

When I manually install the driver on the target system, it installs dozens of files, including several exe.  And I can set the display to high resolutions.  When Image Builder does it it only installs 7 or 8 files and I cannot get to high resolution.  The DS has all (or most) of the files that I installed manually, so IB could have installed them, but it didn't.  I suspect that simply adding it to a Pass is insufficient. 

Maybe I need to run some of the exe files in the driver?  If I do need to do that I don't know which exes nor have I figured out how to run an exe. 

Also, I tried installing the drivers in the offlineServicing pass and that didn't work at all.  The WinPE errored out while building the image. 

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 6:01 PM
  • I'm not completly sure... but if you use pass 1 than you only have the drivers for PE stage, not the offlineS. or spezialize.

try adding them in one of ther other stages.

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:20 PM
  • KNARZ is correct, add the driver to the answer file using Pass 2 offlineServicing, which is for the final image. Pass 1 is for the WinPE and not the final image.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:31 AM
  • i wasn't sure, because some settings in PE stage are in the final image. i didn't know the behavior of drivers. e.g. product key in pe stage is in the final image. i also had some weird behavior with raid drivers (amd) which get loaded at pe stage and will cause bsod if they are in the final image which only happens if there were defined within a unattend-file. if i use the wizard for raid controllers in setup, the drivers won't be in the final image and no bsod appears. (raid drivers a defines only in pe stage and are separated from other drivers). in conclusion this means that at least raid drivers which are definied in an unattended file in pe stage will be in the final image. therefore i wasn't sure if this is only for raid (bootcritical) drivers or all drivers.

but this is a other issue at all.

"Mark/Propose As Answer" if you got one.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 8:06 PM
  • Yes it is another issue. There are some confusing Pass settings like Locales.

When adding drivers to the image use Pass 2. If you need driver support in the PE image use Pass 1.

-Sean

Sunday, November 28, 2010 1:36 AM