Question to Kraig Brockschmidt: About the one pixel space along edge of the display

Question

• Hi Kraig Brockschmidt,

I read your book and I have a question about the section at the bottom of page 37:  Windows reserves a one pixel space along with every edge of the display through which it detects edge gestures, but the user doesn't see that detail. Your app still gets to draw in those areas, mind you, but it will not be able to detect pointer events therein.

So is it possible that the pointer will lose response at just the edge?

I wrote a app using Javascript for Metro, I used the RDP ActiveX to access a remote desktop. (CLSID:EAB16C5D-EEDI-4E95-868B-0FBA1B42C092).  And when i use the touch pointer of the RDP ActiveX  it may be lose response, and it happens more frequently when i use a external monitor  . 

Prerequisite:
    1. connect external monitor to tablet device (Samsung 700T1a win8Pro)

Test steps:
    1. launch the app and log into a remote desktop
    2. enable Touch Pointer
    3. Switch display to the Second Screen by: Devices -> second screen -> Second screen only
    4. tablet screen will be black now and could only be used as a touchpad. Do some operation like move the cursor for a long distance on the external display, or left click, right click etc.
    5. some time later, the cursor on external display will hang on the edge of the display and lose response.

So is this related to the one pixel along edge? How can I handle this issue?

Thanks.

Regards.

Dong

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:29 AM

All replies

• What makes you think this is related to the one-pixel edge design?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:20 PM
  • What makes you think this is related to the one-pixel edge design?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Hi Matt,

The touch pointer lose response only at the edge of the display. That's why I ask for some advices.

The app Remote desktop from windows store also provides a touch pointer, but it works fine.

So are there any special technical tips when using touch pointer provided by RDP ActiveX  related to the one-pixel edge?

By the way, in my app, what I do is just enable and disable the touch pointer by setting the  property of RDP ActiveX. 

Thanks.

Dong

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:31 AM
  • Can any one help me please?
    Tuesday, April 09, 2013 1:31 AM