My Idea of Windows 8

General discussion

• I have decided to do something I should have done a long time ago: create a mock-up of what I think Windows 8 should be. Here it is:

The image you see here is far from perfect, but it gives a general idea of what I want Windows 8 to be. It's no accident that I used Windows Vista as the base of this picture instead of Windows 7 or the Windows 8 desktop. That is because I still think Windows Vista has aspects that need to be brought back for Windows 8, such as improved built-in software and the full Aero visual style. I realize that there are two versions of Aero on the screen, and I believe that Windows 8 should include Windows Vista's version of Aero as an option for more powerful computers. I know the Weather app is not visible through the Start Menu's Aero transparency, but I wasn't sure how to change that. Notice that the image shows a Metro-style app running in the desktop, just like many other mock-ups do (these would have taskbar buttons and a standard window appearance in the real product instead of the dark border). Also note that the actual Windows Sidebar is present on the screen, a feature that I believe needs to return to Windows 8, built on the notification system instead of using gadgets. In case I haven't been clear, I believe that Windows 8 should allow apps like the Windows Media Player shown in the image (my favorite Media Player version) to be created using WinRT instead of Win32. That way, Windows 8's application model could be improved without breaking the user experience.

Quick note about the image: I do not live in or near Redmond, WA, but I used the default setting for Windows Vista's weather gadget in the screenshot.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:22 PM

All replies

• I agree with your general concept.  If I had to comment I would say that the view of the Start Menu is correct. The use of this is intermitent and only visible while in use. It does need priority over whatever else is on the screen.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:27 PM
  • I was referring to a glitch in the image based on how I made the composite, not an issue with Windows itself. If you look at the Start Menu, you can see that Windows Media Player is visible through the transparency and the Weather app is not. That is a glitch related to how I made the composite and I do not know how to correct it.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:50 PM
  • What is your argument for returning to Windows Sidebar?  Personally, I think that the arrangement in Win 7 allows for much greater flexibility, particularly for laptops with small screen resolution.

I agree that the current Start Menu has its advantages, but it is a very cumbersome way to access the installed programs.  I am not opposed to Metro-style start "desktop", as long as Metro apps can run on the regular desktop (as you suggested).  The biggest problem with the new Start "desktop" is that it needs to scroll vertically (for users with regular mouse) and must be far more customizable (at leat on par with currect Start Menu).

Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:50 PM
  • I'm not saying that the Sidebar should be in the form that it is now, where it's an all-or-nothing scenario. Rather than Windows Vista's Sidebar-only setup or Windows 7's Gadget-only setup, the Sidebar should be an option for users that want to organize all of their gadgets along the side of the screen. Many users are unaware of the fact that the Sidebar can have multiple "pages" or sections of gadgets. It's possible to use the arrows at the top of the Sidebar to scroll through gadgets, a functionality that was removed in Windows 7.

To me, the Start Screen feels more cumbersome than the Start Menu, and the Start Menu actually feels more efficient.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Microsoft could keep the Startmenu as it is in Windows 7, and allow users to launch the Metro Startscreen from the "All Programs" button.

It could then open either full screen or in a window like the Weather app in your picture.

The desktop version of Windows 8 (mouse & keyboard) needs to be more different from the touch version.

I still think that Windows 8 feels like it is split into 2 different OSes, and this will help blend them together better.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:06 AM
  • I like your opinion, except for the idea of launching the Start Screen from the All Programs button. Overall, it seems like the Start Screen should be an all or nothing situation (I'm talking about ONLY the Start Screen, not Metro apps here). Either programs are launched from the Start Screen or they are launched from the Start Menu.

Of course, using the Start Screen on a desktop PC wouldn't have to mean that Metro-style apps would be full-screen.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 6:41 PM