none
Issue with custom property for Shared Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am facing issues with custom properties set for Shared contacts in outlook. I have shared my Contacts folder with the other person. If I now set a custom property for the contact under the shared folder using UserProperties or PropertyAccessor it is not getting updated in the outlook of the other shared person immediately. I am saving the ContactItem after setting the user property. Its taking a long time  around 10 to 15 min to update in the other person outlook.

I have a thread running in code which will try to search for the contact item with that Custom property and try to update. Since it has not yet updated in the other person outlook, it will not be able to get the contact item with the property and hence it is creating a duplicate entry.

Can you please let me know how is there a way where I can force synch the Custom properties set for the Shared Contact object so that it appears immediately in the outlook of the shared person.

Regards,

Madhunitha

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:03 AM

Answers

• First of all, if you are accessing the Outlook object model on a background thread of some sort that's unsupported. In Outlook 2013 it would result in immediate termination of your code by Outlook. In earlier version it will just cause instability, possible crashes and possible data loss.

If Exchange is being used and cached connections are being used that's probably the synch interval for the local OST file to update to and then from the shared mailbox. You would need to change the connection update interval to get the other Outlook to update quicker. Even if you were to update the mailbox directly using something like EWS (Exchange Web Services), the other Outlook would still take a while to update.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, September 16, 2013 2:10 PM