none
What is a technic to investigate silent application crash? RRS feed

• Question

•    I run into a number of situations when an application silently crashes. Application_UnhandledException, AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException or TaskScheduler.UnobservedTaskException handlers are not called. The application has rather good exception handling system and logging but nothing is logged. The application simply vanishes from the screen without any information. There is no particular sequence of events which lead to this kind of crash but it is possible to find an approximate course of actions and with a probability of about 80 - 90% this crash will happen. From my experience it's usually related to using WebBrowser control, background downloading and uploading but it's not clear what exactly contributes to this behavior.

Now the question is how to investigate such sort of things? Is it possible to enable crash dump and then investigate details? Is it possible to use WinDbg SOS for windows phone applications or similar tool and how?

Thank you

Alex

Saturday, October 4, 2014 3:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

>Now the question is how to investigate such sort of things? Is it possible to enable crash dump and then investigate details? Is it possible to use WinDbg SOS for windows phone applications or similar tool and how?

You cannot do this. But a work around is to submit your app to windows phone store beta. It can help testing your app. Please see more information from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj215598(v=vs.105).aspx.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 3:01 AM

All replies

• Are there any async calls that go nowhere? Especially async/void patterns are a good place to start investigations.
    Monday, October 6, 2014 3:07 PM
  •    It is much more complicated as I stated in the original description. All managed exceptions in async void or any other methods inevitably go into exception handlers even if they are not caught with try/catch. Here I suspect unmanaged exceptions with WinRT or something deeper into the core. I'm trying to understand what to avoid using or what to change in the application architecture.

Alex

Monday, October 6, 2014 7:44 PM
  • Hi Alex,

>Now the question is how to investigate such sort of things? Is it possible to enable crash dump and then investigate details? Is it possible to use WinDbg SOS for windows phone applications or similar tool and how?

You cannot do this. But a work around is to submit your app to windows phone store beta. It can help testing your app. Please see more information from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj215598(v=vs.105).aspx.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, October 18, 2014 3:01 AM