Ad Control vs. Ad Mediator RRS feed

• Question

• Only recently, I updated Visual Studio to use what I believe is called "Ad Control." I received a message about another change I would have to make when I updated but can't seem to find what it is any more, so I haven't done it. I brought an App Studio generated app into Visual Studio because ads haven't been working correctly in it and can see a warning by "Microsoft Advertising Universal SDK". When I check in the code box, I see "using:Microsoft.AdMediator.Universal is underlined in the line of code "xmlns:Universal="using:Microsoft.AdMediator.Universal". If I hover over it, it indicates "Undefined namespace. The 'Using" URI refers to a namespace 'Microsoft.AdMediator.Universal' that could not be found."

In any case, ads no longer appear in my recently generated App Studio app and I'm guessing it is because I updated to "Ad Control" in Visual Studio. Does App Studio use whatever form of ad mediation is being used in Visual Studio? If so, can I uninstall "Microsoft Advertising Framework" to get things working in my App Studio app again? Is there something I have to reinstall afterwards?

Even when things were working with ad mediation, when the ads appeared now and then in my app, they only appeared "now and then" and did not seem to change often (certainly not according to the refresh setting of 30 seconds (default) or 60 seconds). I've set things to use Microsoft Advertising 60% and Microsoft Advertising House Ads 40%, with Show Microsoft Affiliate Ads checked and Show Community Ads checked. I have NOT yet set up a Promotional Campaign. AdSDKTimeout values were over 75% but are now at 100%!

What exactly do I need to do to get things working again?

• Edited by ExCessna Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:31 PM clarification
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi ExCessna,

> I assume I should select "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0" and de-select version 12.0. Correct? Or does only Version 12 work properly with Ad Mediator? Or does it matter?

As far as I know, if your project is UWP, you could use Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0. if your project is windows and windows phone 8.x, you could use Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 12.0.  but system can configure correct version automatically

> I still receive a warning on "Ad Mediator SDK for Windows 8.1 XAML", indicating it can't be found, even though I just installed it

You could uninstall Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows and windows phone 8.x or deploy the project again.

>  I found that if I de-select Visual C++ Runtime, Version 12, select Version 14.0, de-select Ad Mediator for 8.1 and select "Microsoft Advertising SDK for XAML" all warnings are gone. Are these, by any chance, the correct selections to be made?

If you create a project  for UWP, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK and system can configure Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0 automatically. if you create a project for windows and windows phone 8.x, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows 8 and windows phone 8.x, and system can configure Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 12.0 automatically

> Since "Ad Mediator SDK for Windows 8.1 XAML" is now available, if I re-generate the app using App Studio, will it use this SDK to generate the app?

As far as I know, if you create a project  for UWP, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK or AdDuplex SDK . if you create a project for windows and windows phone 8.x, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows 8 and windows phone 8.x or AdDuplex for windows and windows phone 8.x.

In App Studio, if you create a project and add ads, you download the source code of the project and open in the visual studio , you can see some errors like the screenshot.

Firstly, you could install Microsoft Advertising SDK or AdDuplex SDK , and right click Reference, choose Add Reference. If you install Microsoft Advertising SDK, you will see the screenshot like this and you’d better do like this .

And you could modify your code in visual studio, the ApplicationId and AdUnitId you could go to the Dashboard to apply. if you want to freshen ads , you could set the property ”IsAutofreshEnabled=True”

More detail about ads, you could refer to this document.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Mattew WuModerator Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by ExCessna Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:08 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi ExCessna,

>If I hover over it, it indicates "Undefined namespace. The 'Using" URI refers to a namespace 'Microsoft.AdMediator.Universal' that could not be found."

This warning is caused by the reference lack of Microsoft Advertising Universal SDK, please install it and add it for your project from the References in Visual Studio.

>In any case, ads no longer appear in my recently generated App Studio app and I'm guessing it is because I updated to "Ad Control" in Visual Studio.

As a known issue of AdControl for that SDK said, “Avoid use of the Dispose method from C# apps as it may lead to access violations because of a language issue with C++/CX. You can null the object and let the C# garbage collection handle the cleanup”. So you might check your backend code of your app in Visual Studio.

>Even when things were working with ad mediation, when the ads appeared now and then in my app, they only appeared "now and then" and did not seem to change often (certainly not according to the refresh setting of 30 seconds (default) or 60 seconds).

The refresh setting makes effects on different kinds of ad network(e.g. Microsoft Advertising & AdDuplex). But Microsoft Advertising House Ad also comes from Microsoft Advertising network. So your refreshing rate doesn’t make sense.

More details, please refer to the walkthrough of Ad Control and AdMediator Control.

Best Regards!
    Mattew Wu
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, September 23, 2016 11:22 AM
  • Hi Mattew,

Thanks for your reply. I installed the Microsoft Advertising Universal SDK per the link you provided in your replay. However, although the hyperlink title indicates "Microsoft Advertising Universal SDK", the link actually takes one to "Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows and Windows Phone 8.x". It doesn't make sense, but I proceeded with the installation. That resulted in what is shown in the screen prints below:

Installed SDKsSolution Explorer Showing Warning on Microsoft Advertising Universal SDK

Could not find Microsoft.AdMediator.Universal, Version =1.0

Referenced SDKs

NOTE: "Filtered To: SDKs applicable to [project]" screen was captured after "Microsoft Advertising for Windows 8.1 (XAML)" was de-selected.

1. I assume I should select "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0" and de-select version 12.0. Correct? Or does only Version 12 work properly with Ad Mediator? Or does it matter?

2. I still receive a warning on "Ad Mediator SDK for Windows 8.1 XAML", indicating it can't be found, even though I just installed it.

3. I found that if I de-select Visual C++ Runtime, Version 12, select Version 14.0, de-select Ad Mediator for 8.1 and select "Microsoft Advertising SDK for XAML" all warnings are gone. Are these, by any chance, the correct selections to be made?

4. Since "Ad Mediator SDK for Windows 8.1 XAML" is now available, if I re-generate the app using App Studio, will it use this SDK to generate the app?

Microsoft recommends upgrading as I did (see this link: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/229b7858-2c6a-4073-886e-cbb79e851211).  So I'm not clear why I'm re-installing an older SDK.

I would like to get back to only generating the app in App Studio, with no further settings or generations needed in Visual Studio. The only reason I went into Visual Studio was to check for errors because the Advertising was not working properly.

--Confused

Update: I regenerated the app using App Studio (after the above changes were made). The app now shows an ad sporadically, just as it did before the upgrade to Ad Control. However, I still do not see the ads changing much. It seems like getting AdMediator back was the key, as you indicated. App Studio must work only with Ad Mediator for now? But the ads don't change much and for long periods of time no ads appear. Does this imply it's necessary to use Visual Studio to get good "fill rates"?

• Edited by ExCessna Monday, September 26, 2016 1:39 PM Update
    Sunday, September 25, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Hi ExCessna,

> I assume I should select "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0" and de-select version 12.0. Correct? Or does only Version 12 work properly with Ad Mediator? Or does it matter?

As far as I know, if your project is UWP, you could use Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0. if your project is windows and windows phone 8.x, you could use Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 12.0.  but system can configure correct version automatically

> I still receive a warning on "Ad Mediator SDK for Windows 8.1 XAML", indicating it can't be found, even though I just installed it

You could uninstall Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows and windows phone 8.x or deploy the project again.

>  I found that if I de-select Visual C++ Runtime, Version 12, select Version 14.0, de-select Ad Mediator for 8.1 and select "Microsoft Advertising SDK for XAML" all warnings are gone. Are these, by any chance, the correct selections to be made?

If you create a project  for UWP, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK and system can configure Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 14.0 automatically. if you create a project for windows and windows phone 8.x, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows 8 and windows phone 8.x, and system can configure Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Package for..., Version 12.0 automatically

> Since "Ad Mediator SDK for Windows 8.1 XAML" is now available, if I re-generate the app using App Studio, will it use this SDK to generate the app?

As far as I know, if you create a project  for UWP, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK or AdDuplex SDK . if you create a project for windows and windows phone 8.x, you could add Microsoft Advertising SDK for windows 8 and windows phone 8.x or AdDuplex for windows and windows phone 8.x.

In App Studio, if you create a project and add ads, you download the source code of the project and open in the visual studio , you can see some errors like the screenshot.

Firstly, you could install Microsoft Advertising SDK or AdDuplex SDK , and right click Reference, choose Add Reference. If you install Microsoft Advertising SDK, you will see the screenshot like this and you’d better do like this .

And you could modify your code in visual studio, the ApplicationId and AdUnitId you could go to the Dashboard to apply. if you want to freshen ads , you could set the property ”IsAutofreshEnabled=True”

More detail about ads, you could refer to this document.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

• Edited by Mattew WuModerator Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by ExCessna Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:08 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2016 8:14 AM