Unsuccessful initial login after install

Question

• After installing Win8 (32 bit), I get to the first login screen where it asks for my user name and password.  My Hotmail login does not work, and a second live.ca user name I set up just to try this also does not work.   I keep getting "incorrect" messages.   I did a reinstall of XP (the original OS on this computer) and checked internet connectivity and it was good.   Reinstalled Win8 but no changes.   Any suggestions or ideas?
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:10 PM

Answers

• You would create a local account at the install stage. If you haven't already created one and can't use the Windows Live ID, you
    would have to reinstall.

Steps to create new Local Account.
    1. Enter the Start screen
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Select Users in the left column
    4. Click Add User
    5. Enter an email address if you want to connect the account and skip to step 9, otherwise continue with step 6
    6. Click More about logon options
    7. Click Local account
    8. Enter user name and password information
    9. Click Next

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:27 PM

All replies

• Try a local account instead of a Windows Live ID account and see if you can logon.

Let us know the results.
    Marilyn
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Which local account would I use?   This is an install on a fresh format of the drive, so there are no local accounts existing that I am aware of.   I didn't notice any options to allow me to set one up during the install.
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:35 PM
  • You would create a local account at the install stage. If you haven't already created one and can't use the Windows Live ID, you
    would have to reinstall.

Steps to create new Local Account.
    1. Enter the Start screen
    2. Click Control Panel
    3. Select Users in the left column
    4. Click Add User
    5. Enter an email address if you want to connect the account and skip to step 9, otherwise continue with step 6
    6. Click More about logon options
    7. Click Local account
    8. Enter user name and password information
    9. Click Next

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 8:27 PM
  • Well, I'm not quite sure why but the third time was the charm.  The only difference that I'm aware of is this time I did the install without the network cable connected.   This was the first time I got an login name and password screen during the setup process and the first time I saw the start screen.  I didn't get the login screen asking for a login using a windows live account.   Thanks for your help.

• Edited by cbanman Monday, November 21, 2011 3:03 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:01 AM