none
Designer for XAML file cannot be opened in 2015.

Question

• We moved a project (WPF) from 2013 to 2015. I see that all the XAML files crashes when double clicked to open in the designer. Even a new file created also crashes. 

SystemNullReference exception at

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.Platform.Utility.DocumentContext.CreateNode(ITypeId typeId)

I'm not seeing crash if I create a new project and open a XAML file. 

• Edited by sri_vas Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:55 PM

Answers

• Hi sri_vas,

>>I see that all the XAML files crashes when double clicked to open in the designer. Even a new file created also crashes. 

>>I'm not seeing crash if I create a new project and open a XAML file. 

Do you mean that just the specific WPF app has this issue? It worked well if you create a new WPF app in your VS2015 directly, am I right?

(1)Please make sure that your project worked normally in your VS2013.

(2)Please also clean and rebuild your solution in your VS2015, we need to make sure that no commpiled error messages.

(3) Delete .suo file, and then re-open the .xxproj file in your VS2015, check the designer again.

(4) Please also install the update 1 for your current VS2015.

(5) If still no help, maybe you could create a blank solution, and then add all projects' files to the new solution, or copy the same code to the same project files in the new solution using the same project name, check it again. At least, we could know that it is not the project files' issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:46 AM
  • Thanks for the help. Most of the issues got resolved after installing Update 1. 
    Monday, January 04, 2016 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi sri_vas,

>>I see that all the XAML files crashes when double clicked to open in the designer. Even a new file created also crashes. 

>>I'm not seeing crash if I create a new project and open a XAML file. 

Do you mean that just the specific WPF app has this issue? It worked well if you create a new WPF app in your VS2015 directly, am I right?

(1)Please make sure that your project worked normally in your VS2013.

(2)Please also clean and rebuild your solution in your VS2015, we need to make sure that no commpiled error messages.

(3) Delete .suo file, and then re-open the .xxproj file in your VS2015, check the designer again.

(4) Please also install the update 1 for your current VS2015.

(5) If still no help, maybe you could create a blank solution, and then add all projects' files to the new solution, or copy the same code to the same project files in the new solution using the same project name, check it again. At least, we could know that it is not the project files' issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:46 AM
  • Thanks for the help. Most of the issues got resolved after installing Update 1. 
    Monday, January 04, 2016 6:33 PM
  • Hi sri_vas,

>>Thanks for the help. Most of the issues got resolved after installing Update 1. 

Glad to know that my reply was helpful for you.

Since you have resolved most of the issues, if possible, please make the useful reply as the answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours.

In addition, if you still have other issues which are not resolved, would you please open a new case for  them? You know that one thread for one issue, it would be better if you open up a new thread for the new question. In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks,

Jack

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 2:45 AM