Get the client Machine Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am developing a web application in Microsoft Visual Studio Lightswitch, and when a user accesses audit must be recorded in the name of the computer that is accessing. Try performing as specified in Here post, but I always get the name of the server pc, ie where the application is hosted.

Does anyone know how to reliably get the name of the computer that the user is using?

regards,

Gabriel
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• As the web client is silverlight and runs in the server context normal calls will return the server information.

This post might be able to help.

How to Get the IP Address and Machine Name in the Silverlight Application

This here might also help. Silverlight Windows User Identity Name

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Glenn, 

Thanks for the answer. I cant get the machine name, (i dont know why) but i cant get the IP address, wich is weird.

I will be searching about this.

Thanks!

Regards, 

Gabriel

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:41 PM
  • If you can get the IP Address, you can then always do an NSLookup and resolve the name.
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:15 PM
  • Thats the next step.

Thanks for your time

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Here's one for you... I don't know if it's possible, but it would be handy.

I already log the user's IP address/hostname in my application (2-tier desktop) by using some .NET to get the network info.

What I would really like is the vslshost.exe listening port number too.  Is it possible?

The reason I want it is so I can remotely look at the /trace.axd address for debugging purposes when my users contact me with an error.

Free Visual Studio LightSwitch extensions: Elyl's Extensions

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:01 PM