none
windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style RRS feed

• Question

• windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style , i got this error message when i was trying to install windows 10 , is there any way to install Os without deleting all the partitions ,i dont have a external hard drive to backup my data  

Thursday, November 12, 2015 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello 09cos18,

This forum is for customizing Windows to specific hardware platforms.  Please see the community forums for general answers on Windows 10. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/gpt-disk-and-windows-10-please-help/3dfbc495-e4c5-4761-85e5-6c1a5651173c?auth=1.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:40 PM
  • To solve this problem WITHOUT DATA LOSS, you can enable UEFI boot mode in BIOS if your motherboard support UEFI or use third party freeware such as AOMEI Partition Assistant to convert disk between MBR and GPT without data loss.

For people configuring their PCs for the first time all by themselves, an error message like “Windows cannot be installed on this Disk” can be a big time problem. One, the message explains little about its cause and second, most of us don’t really have a lot of experience in setting up systems. The problem, however, is not as elephantine as it seems. It is simply a compatibility issue. This problem generally occurs when you try to install windows on a UEFI-based system while your hard drive partition scheme does not support UEFI. 

The agreement between the firmware and the hard disk partition scheme is essential for locating the boot loader for the Operating System and hence, is the first step in the installation process of windows on a computer system. By default, recent hardware boot using UEFI mode. Thus, when one tries to use an old hard disk with an updated UEFI-based system, the message “Windows Cannot be Installed On this device” pops up. This is because old hard drives maintain partitions using MBR scheme which is not supported in UEFI-based systems. Therefore, for windows installation it is important to convert either MBR partition scheme to GPT partition scheme or configure the system to boot with the legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 7:27 AM