none
Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PowerPoint add-in that was working perfectly for a while.

Today, firstly, I found that the project could not be loaded. This made me realized that the Office development component of VS2010 mysteriously had been removed. I added it back to VS.  Now when I run the add-in within VS2010, I get the following error:

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

************** Exception Text **************
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IHostServiceProvider.SetProperty(String name, Object value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.GetAssemblyDataFromManifests(String solutionLocation, String manifestLocator, String documentName, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, CustomizationType customizationType, OfficeVersion officeVersion, IHostServiceProvider interopServiceProvider)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String solutionLocation, String manifestName, String documentName, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, Boolean useFastPath, IntPtr& executor)

I am wondering if anyone could offer some tips on where to chase the issue.  Again, the add-in was working perfectly without any problem.  Between now and then, there were some VS, Office and .Net 4 updates.

Thanks in advance.

Hong
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hallelujah!

I have just installed Office SP1, and everything works now. Apparently Office SP1 is required if some other updates have been installed.  I somehow had the wrong impression that I installed Office SP1 a while ago.

Cindy, thank you very much for all the patient help.  I apologize for wasting you so much time.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:11 PM

All replies

• For debugging, I started a brand new PowerPoint add-in project.  It is an empty project.  The following error occurs when it is run:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.Interop.IHostServiceProvider.SetProperty(String name, Object value)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.GetAssemblyDataFromManifests(String solutionLocation, String manifestLocator, String documentName, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, CustomizationType customizationType, OfficeVersion officeVersion, IHostServiceProvider interopServiceProvider)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.DomainCreator.CreateCustomizationDomainInternal(String solutionLocation, String manifestName, String documentName, Boolean showUIDuringDeployment, IntPtr hostServiceProvider, Boolean useFastPath, IntPtr& executor)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime
        Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 10.0.31117.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.dll
    System.Core
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.225 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.236 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Deployment
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Security
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Security/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Security.dll
    System.Xml.Linq
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll

Hong
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Hi Hong

I'm going to move this to the specialized VSTO forum where you'll get better-targeted support. There are some follow-up questions that could help show the way to a solution:

1. Which version of PowerPoint is involved?

2. What steps did you use to add "the Office development component" back to VS?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Cindy.

The version of PP is 14.0.5128.5000(64-bit)

The feature was added back by Program and Features > Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate - ENU > Add or Remove Features > Download

I am looking at it now while writing this post, I do not see the Office development component either checked or unchecked. Very strange.

Hong
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Hi Hong

Are you able to make a screen capture of the dialog box for a "customized setup" (what you're looking at, I think)? Save that to a file then upload it to your reply using the button at the far right in the forum editor "toolbar".

I'd normally say that this isn't something you can download. Unless you've installed Visual Studio as an MSDN download?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Hi Cindy,  thanks a lot for trying to help.

Appended is the requested snapshot.

Yes, the VS instance was installed from MSDN downloading.

Hong
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Hi Hong

Yes, my installation looks the same, but it seems that VSTO 32-bit is no longer a separate tickbox - at least in maintenance mode.

This question is somewhat out of my area of expertise, so you may have to wait until someone from the MS contigency staff can take a look at it. If you haven't tried running a "repair" on Visual Studio 2010 and Office, you might try that.

Something else to test would be whether this problem occurs with any other kind of Office project (I think it will, but best to be sure).

Friday, September 2, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Hi Cindy, thanks a lot for looking into this.

I am wondering if this has something to do with Office instead of VS for the following two reasons:

1. The add-in that was installed half a year ago stopped working.  It was not loaded anymore.

2. When I try to install the add-in from the deployment package created half a year ago the following error occurs:

Name: MyAddIn

System.Security.SecurityException: Customized functionality in this application will not work because the certificate used to sign the deployment manifest for MyAddIn or its location is not trusted. Contact your administrator for further assistance.
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustPromptKeyInternal(ClickOnceTrustPromptKeyValue promptKeyValue, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInTrustEvaluator.VerifyTrustUsingPromptKey(Uri manifest, DeploymentSignatureInformation signatureInformation, String productName)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.VerifySecurity(ActivationContext context, Uri manifest, AddInInstallationStatus installState)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:

Hong
    Friday, September 2, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Hi Hong

That's why I asked you whether you're able to create an add-in for any other application. But given what you stated yesterday, I don't think it would be this one project?

<<For debugging, I started a brand new PowerPoint add-in project.  It is an empty project.  The following error occurs when it is run:

Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))>>

Friday, September 2, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi Cindy, I repaired both Office and VS.  The latter took almost 2 hours. I rebooted the computer twice.  The problem remains.

I will try to create a project that is NOT PP add-in to see if it works per your suggestion.

Hong
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Hi Hong,

How about the problem on your side after you have tried to create a project that is not an powerpoint add-in? If you still need any assistant, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:49 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

Sorry for the delay. I have just created an Excel add-in called ExcelAddInTest, and got the same error as following:

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.Runtime.dll
    System.Core
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.236 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.ServerDocument.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Deployment
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Security
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Security/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Security.dll
    System.Xml.Linq
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll

I believe all my Office, VS and Win7 have the latest updates.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:24 AM
  • I want to add the Excel add-in is a bit worse because I cannot figure out how to remove it.  It shows on the Inactive Application Add-ins list, but is not on the list in the Add-Ins window that shows up when "Go" is clicked.  It is not in Programs and Features either.
    Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Hi Hong

<<I want to add the Excel add-in is a bit worse because I cannot figure out how to remove it.>>

Are you able to open this add-in in Visual Studio? Just open it, not do anything with it. If you can, then try "Clean Solution" from the Build menu.

Note: from the beginning, I've assumed that your problem comes when trying to CREATE or CHANGE an Add-in, while working in the Visual Studio IDE. But creating an Excel Add-in in the IDE would never regsiter the Add-in so that it would show up in Excel.

So could you please be more specific about what action is triggering the errors you're getting?

Friday, September 9, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Hi Cindy, thank you for your persistent help.

Yes, "Clean" removes ExcelAddInTest from Inactive Application Add-ins list.

Here are the steps I have taken so far:

1. Right-click soltuion > Add > New Project ... > Excel 2010 Add-in

2. Set ExcelAddInTest as Startup Project

3. Start Debugging (F5), the error occurs.

4. Close Excel

5. Start Excel outside VS

6. Examine Inactive Application Add-ins list, find ExcelAddInTest.

7. Follow your tip of using "Clean" to remove ExcelAddInTest from the list

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Hi Hong

do NOT do the following. VSTO takes care of this step for you, so this could be your problem:

2. Set ExcelAddInTest as Startup Project

Friday, September 9, 2011 11:14 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

I set ExcelAddInTest as Startup Project for convenience just like when I debug other projects.  I followed your suggestion by setting another completely irrelevant  project in the solution as the Startup Project, then right-clicked ExcelAddInTest > Debug > Start new instance, but still got the same error. I should have mentioned the same error occurs twice one after the other each time.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:27 AM
  • Hi Hong

Start a new test add-in project. Do NOT SET ANYTHING to be the "startup project". Nothing at all. don't look at it, don't touch it :-)

Friday, September 9, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

It seems that all the versions of Visual Studio that I have used must have a Startup Project.  I cannot figure out how to not have a Startup Project.  I even tried to set a project as Startup Project, then remove it, but VS automatically chose another project as Startup Project. I believe this has been the case for many years with all the VS versions that I have used.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Hi Hong

As I said, VSTO takes care of this for you, in the way it must be done for VSTO to function. Don't worry about setting it, or what it's set to. Leave it alone and do another test, please :-)

Friday, September 9, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Hi Cindy, thanks again for your persistent help.

I started another project called ExcelAddInTest2.  Without touching anything else, I  right-click ExcelAddInTest2 > Debug > Start new instance.

Unfortunately, the result is the same - the same error occurs twice after Excel shows up.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hi Hong

Thank you for ruling out that the problem came from changing a default setting :-) I'm going to go back over the history of this problem, based on the knowledge that it's happening when the add-in is run in Office, rather than opened in Visual Studio.

So, we're dealing with Office 2010 and Visual Studio 2010.

When you originally created this project, was it with Visual Studio 2010 and PowerPoint 2010? Or was one (or both) of these versions different?

The component that's failing is the VSTO runtime. That's what communicates between Office and the .NET add-in and makes sure things load correctly. This is the component that should be installed by Office, itself, in version 2010 and not by the developer. It's also important that the correct versions are installed, as outline here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398242.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/54ds2za4.aspx
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178739.aspx

It's possible that you have the wrong version of the VSTO runtime installed. Please start Excel (or PowerPoint, or Word), go to Options/Addins and check for entries for the "Visual Studio Tools for Office Design-Time Adapter. Check at the bottom of the dialog box in what location this is saved. Is a folder x86 in the path?

Looking at the error log, I see

Is it possible you've installed an Add-in compiled for 32-bit on a 64-bit machine? Or the wrong Windows version of the runtime?

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the good points.

Yes, the project was created last year with VS2010 and Office 2010.  I have not changed either of them except for updates.

I could not find the entry for "Visual Studio Tools for Office Design-Time Adapter".  The following is the snapshot:

I

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:53 PM
  • BTW, I also checked PIA.  It is in all three locations as described in the instructions.
    Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Hi Hong

The resolution of the screen shot isn't very good, but it indeed doesn't seem to be there.

In that case, in this same place, go to the combobox at the bottom and choose "Disabled items". Then click Go. Is it in this list and if yes, is any additional information provided?

Also, go to the Control Panel entry where programs are installed. Do you see a listing for "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office runtime"? What's the installation date and version, if it's there?

Friday, September 9, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

After hearing your comment, I realized that the image resolution is dependent on the browser width. The content column of this forum uses only a portion of the width making the case even worse.  The image's original resolution should be fine.

The "Disabled Items" list is empty.

Programs and Features shows Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64).

I feel bad that not only does this problem kills us a lot of time, but also kills a lot of your precious time.  To be honest with you, we are ready to give up and wait for future Office or VS updates to hopefully fix this problem.  Actually, we have already taken the add-in off line.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Hi Hong

I keep hoping Bruce Song is going to jump back in here...

Just to double-check: You are running a 64-bit version of Windows? (You haven't answered that question, yet)

The problem you're having is not typical for VSTO, so waiting for another version isn't going to solve this, I don't think.

This problem is occurring on multiple machines, not just your development machine?

If it's just your development machine, what happens if you test on a different machine.

If it's on multiple machines, what kind of software or updates did your company install just before things "blew up"?

Friday, September 9, 2011 6:18 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Yes, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  We have not tried on another computer.  Unfortunately, none of the other 6 computers we have runs W7 Ultimate.

I install whatever important updates Windows Updates prompts, so I installed a lot of stuff between the last time we checked the add-in (more than half a year ago) and now. I would say the major one is VS SP1.  I also installed quite a few Office updates.  I have just noticed that I am yet to install Office 2010 SP1.  Maybe that will fix the problem. 

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hallelujah!

I have just installed Office SP1, and everything works now. Apparently Office SP1 is required if some other updates have been installed.  I somehow had the wrong impression that I installed Office SP1 a while ago.

Cindy, thank you very much for all the patient help.  I apologize for wasting you so much time.

Hong
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:11 PM
  • Hi Hong

The key (at this point, anyway) is that you aren't seeing the Visual Studio runtime in the Add-ins list of the Office applications. If that's not there, an VSTO add-in cannot run.

Now that we're sure the software versions should match, we know we have to track down why this component isn't installing or registering properly. This component is actually an add-in, so must be properly registered under Windows. Apparently that's not happening, or it would be in that list under Options (or at least be listed as disabled).

I can think of two things to try next:

1. Uninstall the VSTO runtime, then reinstall it (from the d/l on MSDN, most likely)

2. Create a new user-profile on your machine and try with that. IF your current profile's Registry has become damaged - which can happen - this should work.

Ah, one other thing: which edition of Office do you have installed? (As in Standard, Professional, Ultimate, Professional Plus) Any chance you switched to Professional Plus since you last worked with VSTO?

Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:41 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

I am wondering if you missed my last post.  Everything seems to work now.

I have just checked PowerPoint, and Visual Studio Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor is still not there, but the add-in works. I have also just checked Excel, and seen Visual Studio Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel.

Thanks a lot again.

Hong
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hi Hong

I did, indeed, miss the "Hallelujah" post :-)

Wonderful, that you managed to solve this! thank you for taking a moment to come back and let us know the resolution.

I hope things work smoothly from now on!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Hi Cindy,

I have just noticed that there is another glitch - I get the following error when publishing:

An error occurred while signing: Failed to sign bin\Release\app.publish\\setup.exe. SignTool Error: The signer's certificate is not valid for signing.
    SignTool Error: An error occurred while attempting to sign: bin\Release\app.publish\\setup.exe       C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v10.0\OfficeTools\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Office.targets

I created a new PowerPoint and it does not have this problem.  This means that I can move the code to a newly created project if the old one cannot be fixed. I hope I do not have to resort to this.  I am wondering if you have any tips on how to deal with this.

Hong
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:00 PM