none
WMI - Receiving error - "Error getting disk drive instances" RRS feed

• Question

• I am receiving the following error when performing a WMI query. The query in in a program that worked just last week. In fact it just stopped working in the last few days. The only change to the system was the installation of DropBox which I've uninstalled with no change.

This is an informational message Error getting disk drive instances:
    [12:41:00 PM] Gary Monk: Log Name:      Application
    Source:        GuruService
    Date:          3/9/2015 3:05:11 PM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      JimsTablet
    Description:
    3/9/2015 3:05:11 PM
    Error getting disk drive instances: System.Management.ManagementException: Not found 
       at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_ClassName()
       at System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances(EnumerationOptions options)
       at System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances()
       at RealityEngineering.Licensing.GuruLicenseProvider.AppendHDDInfo(StringBuilder sb)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="GuruService" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-09T19:05:11.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1240008</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>JimsTablet</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>3/9/2015 3:05:11 PM
    Error getting disk drive instances: System.Management.ManagementException: Not found 
       at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Boolean getObject)
       at System.Management.ManagementBaseObject.get_ClassName()
       at System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances(EnumerationOptions options)
       at System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances()
       at RealityEngineering.Licensing.GuruLicenseProvider.AppendHDDInfo(StringBuilder sb)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The hard drive has only about 2.3GB of free space but I wouldn't think that should make a difference when doing a query. Also this is a Microsoft Surface 1, that also shouldn't make a difference, but...

Does anyone know why this error occurs? 

Thanks, Gary

• Edited by GaryMk Monday, March 9, 2015 9:08 PM
    • Moved by Dave PatrickMVP Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:33 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2015 9:07 PM

All replies

• Perhaps you should post your question in a forum for the language you use with WMI in order to receive assistance.

However you mention that the hard drive has only about 2.3 GB of free space which I suspect may have been about the same last week and that the tablet is Microsoft Surface 1.

I suppose free disk space could be an issue if no paging is available from the virtual memory allocated to the disk. I suppose various services allocate virtual memory for themselves as well as applications but I'm not familiar with this area regarding size limitations other than seeing the capability to set that for various applications or perhaps it was services various times and it's been awhile.

Maybe try defragmenting the disk and see if the service or app all the sudden works.

I don't know what DropBox is and you mention that was the only change to the system but you don't mention if immediately after installing DropBox the service or app began having the issue.

Also have you looked through other Event Logs like Security or System to see if anything untoward is occuring that may be helpful in figuring this out?

Why would Microsoft Surface 1 come into question if the app had been running fine on the tablet before?

UPDATE: You could also download WMI Code Creator v1.0 which unzips to a folder which has a self contained executable (WMI Code Creator) and a couple other files in it. But does not install anything on a PC. Then copy WMI Code Creators .Exe onto the tablet, start it, select the code you want it to create (C#, VB.Net, VB.Script) and make it perform a query of the same type and see what happens. It launches a console app to run the code it creates.

La vida loca

Monday, March 9, 2015 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I beleive the Surface uses a solid state device for the hard drive so that is at least different. 

I'm not sure DropBox had anything to do with it but it was just that last thing installed.  The user can't remember if it was installed before or after he noticed the problem.

I will resubmit this to different C# forums.

Gary

Monday, March 9, 2015 9:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I beleive the Surface uses a solid state device for the hard drive so that is at least different. 

I'm not sure DropBox had anything to do with it but it was just that last thing installed.  The user can't remember if it was installed before or after he noticed the problem.

I will resubmit this to different C# forums.

Gary

You're welcome. I don't see a Microsoft Surface 1 at the link below. Perhaps it is either a 32 or 64 bit Microsoft Surface RT? If so they have extremely limited disk space.

Also I looked up about defragmenting SSD's and read an article Fragging wonderful: The truth about defragging your SSD as well as saw other search results saying never defragment an SSD. There's apparently some issue about "NAND is good for only a few thousand write cycles, so defragging can reduce the SSD’s lifespan by unnecessarily writing data to it" and "NAND cells (the parts of flash memory that holds the data) must be erased before they can be written to" and "Early SSDs put off erasures, simply marking cells as no longer used when you deleted a file" so I don't know how old this Surface is but perhaps it's SSD is starting to fail or something.

Although I have a difficult time believing that SSD's couldn't be written to and erased as often as an HDD or what the f good would they be except speed perhaps? Especially considering their cost over an HDD.

Microsoft Surface

La vida loca

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:02 AM
  • What is this in your stacktrace?

RealityEngineering.Licensing.GuruLicenseProvider

SSD are random access. Fragmentation doesn't matter.

They are limited in number of cycles, software distributes writes to least used areas. However they last decades with normal use.

David Candy

Friday, March 13, 2015 10:34 PM