How to Pass a boolean variable to a SQL query RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SSIS variable called MyBoolean defined as type Boolean. I want to pass it to this toy query:

SELECT 42 where ? <> 0

so that the value 42 is returned iff ? = 1 -- that is, if the value of MyBoolean is set to True. I see that I can't specify bit (the SQL Server equivalent of a boolean type) in the Parameter mapping tab of the Execute Sql Task editor. What type should I use? I've tried VARIANT_BOOL, SHORT, SIGNED_CHAR and NUMBER, but these don't seem to work. That is, I'm not getting any rows returned when I execute the task with this sort of setup.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 5:38 PM

Answers

• If you're trying to pass True False etc, you may even pass it as a string and make query like

SELECT 42 where CAST(? AS bit) <> 0

And it will still work fine in T-SQL

• Proposed as answer by Mike Yin Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, November 18, 2013 2:24 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 6:49 PM

All replies

• There are no Boolean data type in T-SQL. You even do not need it here as you simulate some odd logic.

Anything non 0 will return 42, so use any SSIS numeric datatype whereas say a DT_INT may work, but I am not sure what the variable maps to.

Arthur My Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013 6:29 PM
  • If you're trying to pass True False etc, you may even pass it as a string and make query like

SELECT 42 where CAST(? AS bit) <> 0

And it will still work fine in T-SQL

• Proposed as answer by Mike Yin Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:36 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Yin Monday, November 18, 2013 2:24 PM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Of course T-SQL has no boolean types, but that was not my question.  I have a boolean type in SSIS that I want to use in some conditional logic in my query when it executes on SQL Server.  So far I've tried the obvious (to me) types,  (DT_INT doesn't seem to be one of the choices in the parameter dialog) but I've yet to get 42 back from any of them.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 9:11 PM
  • That makes sense!

I'll give that one a try!!

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:11 PM