SQL Server Agent and Sql Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have one instance of SSEE 2008

and one instance of SSEE 2008 that I upgraded to the standard edition.  Both have Sql Server Agent showing up in Services, yet when I try to start the Sql Server Agent service on both of them they will not start.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do you have any errors logged to the windows event logs?  what account is set under the agent services?
    Ted Krueger Blog on lessthandot.com @onpnt on twitter
    • Marked as answer by Mattaniah Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

you make sure that SQL Server Service is up and run before starting the SQL Server Agent service.

----------------------------

Thanks,

RajaSekhar Reddy .K

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Bit confused with your question ... do you mean to state that agent is disabled in SSMS ? When the agent  services are in started state from where you are trying to start the agent services from ? Sql serevr agent service is depends on MSSQLserver service ..

--------------------
    Thanks,Suhas V

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:49 PM
  • The error log says  "SQL ServerAgent could not be started (reason: this installation of SQL Server Agent is disabled.  The edition of SQL Server that installed this service does not support SQL Server Agent.)

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Sorry, I may have missread your initial post.  When you say, SSEE, that is usually read, SQL Server Enterprise Edition.  Did you mean, Express?  Did you upgrade from Express 2005 to Express 2008?  The services from memory are disabled in the services.msc or configuration manager.  Right click the sql agent listing and make sure it it set to automatic or manual (not disabled)
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:03 PM
  • Ted,

SQL Server Agent is NOT available in Express edition and that is the problem here. If you need to do automation of tasks then one of the option is to use SQL Server Service Broker.

http://SankarReddy.com/
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Hey Sankar,

Right, but SQL Server 2008 Express installs it in a disabled state.  So I'm thinking if the express edition was upgraded to standard (however that upgrade was performed), it may not have undone the disabled state and simply needs to be flipped to automatic.

I've never tried and upgrade from 2008 express to standard though.  Actually not 100% you can?

Would be a much cleaner process to backup the dbs, script all objects, dettach files, uninstall express, install standard, attach dbs and execute the needed and supporting scripts -- and call it a day :-)

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:09 PM
  • >>the express edition was upgraded to standard 

Didn't catch that part in the first post. Sorry.

http://SankarReddy.com/
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 8:43 PM
  • :-) I missed the express part all together.  I have a feeling the event log showed the error and way to the solution though...unless it was time to go home
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 11:59 PM