none
Web Service calls generating huge amount of transaction logs RRS feed

• Question

• I have inherited the codebase for a Windows service which uses Exchange Web Services to synchronize appointments and contacts with an external system.

We've found that this generates a huge amount of transaction logs (200GB over a weekend), which obviously is a bit of a problem.

However, I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot it, or what to do instead.

The code doesn't use subscriptions (it should, but that would be a fairly major change that I don't want to put time into right now unless I know it would solve our *main* problem), but instead uses FindItem/FindFolder to look for items with certain extended properties set.

This is undoubtedly inefficient, but does it also generate transaction logs en masse?

For synchronizing the other direction (to Exchange), it just uses [Create/Update/Delete][Item/Folder], exactly as you would expect. This obviously causes *some* log data to be produced (since it writes to the database), but it seems like it shouldn't be anything dramatic (over the weekend with those 200GB log data generated, it updated a whopping 50 appointments on the Exchange server), so it seems like it's the FindItem/FindFolder operations that are hurting us.

Do anyone have some kind of explanation for the issue? Or are able to confirm that if we just set up a simple Pull-subscription, all these problems will disappear?

Or just some tips and tricks for narrowing down where these transaction logs are coming from, would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:32 AM