none
Unique Page Numbering & Capturing in TOC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!!

I have a client that has some unique page numbering in his manuals. They have 16 chapter of which I decided to keep as separate files. Case in point, I have a chapter that is 6B. I need the page numbering to reflect 6B-1, 6B-2, etc. So after researching this i found that I could place the following in the Footer where the page number resides:

{SEQ chapter \c \* ALPHABETIC}-{PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT}

And in the body of the document at the very begining I've inserted:

{SEQ chapter \* ALPHABETIC \r 2}

Which give me in the footer B-1, B-2, etc. So I am almost there!!!

So how can I get a "6" before the "B"??

But wait there's more!!  I would like to this to transition into my TOC as well!!

Once again research has shown me that I need to ad a switch to my TOC field command "\s chapter" so my TOC field reads as such:

{TOC \o "2-3" \h \z \u \s chapter }

Which I get blah.............B-1, blah blah..............B-2

Again part of the way there. I need a "6" in front of B

In the near future I would nee the reverse of this for appendix chapters to read "A1-1, A2-1, etc.

You guys have been great in helping me before and I hope you cn get back to me on this one as well. Thank you in advance!!!!

In your debt,

Paul

Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:25 AM

Answers

• A TOC will never pick up anything inserted into the header that is not part of the page number field's format. Adding a SEQ field doesn't affect the page number field's format.

You need to include both the chapter letter & number as part of the heading multi-level list numbering in order for the page number and TOC to pick up both. With the multilevel list numbering, If you want the number to precede the letter, you should use letter 'numbering' and type the number into the number format box in front of the auto-generated letter. With this schema, the letters will change, but the numbers won't. The converse is also true. AFAIK, that's about the most you can achieve.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:33 AM
  • SEQ fields can be included as "chapter numbers" within a TOC to a certain extent. See http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#ChapterNumbering.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:08 PM

All replies