how to use .GIF images in silverlight ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have to use .GIF images in my application if i set source or the image then the image is not showing in the output, is there any way to display this?

Thanks in advace 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:28 AM

Answers

• It may have to do with licensing issues. If you are getting the images from the server using a webservice, you could actually convert them before they are sent over. But if you using the standard method source=... you're hosed. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:42 AM

All replies

• No, only png and jpg are supported. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:28 AM
  • ok i thought there may be a way, i don't understand why silverlight is not supporting .GIF  

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:34 AM
  • It may have to do with licensing issues. If you are getting the images from the server using a webservice, you could actually convert them before they are sent over. But if you using the standard method source=... you're hosed. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:42 AM
  • GIF is a dated format that doesn't offer anything over PNG files. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Tim:

Does SL support animated png? Haven't read if there is such a thing either. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:41 AM
  • ImageTools support LOADING of animated gifs. But you can also make a custom Xml based format which contains some png files, that are animated by a custom control.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hello Snelldl,

Normally PNG is a image it dosn't have animation, 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Interesting product - I briefly looked at what he has on the page - I assume you would have to pull the gif into your page, convert it using the tool and then set the Image control to the converted image? That is, it's all done in code behind? I guess you could create your own Image control that uses that as a base to load gifs then....

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Or you could use a ValueConverted to convert whatever file to the desired image format.

The UnisSys Gif licensing requirements expired a while ago.  Would be nice if there were an animated equivalent available in SL.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Good idea - I had thought that maybe you could do it in an IValueConverter - that would preserve the binding. I wasn't sure if the libraries were available. Normally I'd convert the files on the server during the upload. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:07 AM