none
no working index link RRS feed

Answers

• You are on a Linux server. Linux is case-sensitive. So, "Index.html" that you have in your URL link is a different file from the "index.html" that is the actual filename of the page. Change the case of the "Index.html" to all lower case and your page shows up (I know; I just did it ;-).

It is important to adopt a standard naming convention for your files and folders. All lower case, Pascal case, camel case, whatever, but just be consistent and always do it the same way. Also, spaces in file and folder names are a bad idea. As you can see in your URL, above, they encode as %20, which is hex 20 and equates to decimal 32, the ASCII code for a space. These can cause issues if one or more servers along the way handles them differently, and they also make the URL just plain ugly and difficult to read.

Instead, use hyphens or underscores as separators (hyphens will be visible in an underlined URL, underscores won't), or use a casing strategy. For example, http://www.lightwaveglassstudio.com/Pages/CustomGlassWork.html works just as well, and is more readable and less subject to problems. Remember, visitors for the most part couldn't care less about the actual file name of the page. The title that appears in the browser's title bar is of more significance.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:18 AM

All replies

• You are on a Linux server. Linux is case-sensitive. So, "Index.html" that you have in your URL link is a different file from the "index.html" that is the actual filename of the page. Change the case of the "Index.html" to all lower case and your page shows up (I know; I just did it ;-).

It is important to adopt a standard naming convention for your files and folders. All lower case, Pascal case, camel case, whatever, but just be consistent and always do it the same way. Also, spaces in file and folder names are a bad idea. As you can see in your URL, above, they encode as %20, which is hex 20 and equates to decimal 32, the ASCII code for a space. These can cause issues if one or more servers along the way handles them differently, and they also make the URL just plain ugly and difficult to read.

Instead, use hyphens or underscores as separators (hyphens will be visible in an underlined URL, underscores won't), or use a casing strategy. For example, http://www.lightwaveglassstudio.com/Pages/CustomGlassWork.html works just as well, and is more readable and less subject to problems. Remember, visitors for the most part couldn't care less about the actual file name of the page. The title that appears in the browser's title bar is of more significance.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 1:18 AM
  • Thaks Scott,

I knew it was something simple but I could not see it.

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:30 AM