Unable to Launch SQL in RDP Session. RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently re-imaged our SQL box and SQL Server is all installed.  I am able to RDP to the server and open SQL Management Studio.  When I select the database engine I am not able to log on to the Database Server.  If I Console into the box I am able to successfully launch the Database Engine.  I can also launch the DB engine from a different SQL Server.  Just cannot do it when I am logged into the box directly. Running SQL Server 2005 with Service Pack 3.

Any Ideas?

Steve
    Monday, August 8, 2011 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

If you are trying to connect to the SQL Server 2005 instance using “(local)” or “.” then enable Named Pipes protocol using SQL Server Configuration Manager. After enabling the protocol, restart SQL Server service for the change to take effect. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:00 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you are trying to connect to the SQL Server 2005 instance using “(local)” or “.” then enable Named Pipes protocol using SQL Server Configuration Manager. After enabling the protocol, restart SQL Server service for the change to take effect. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:00 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Post the error message you are receiving when you try to connect to DB Engine from RDP session.

Manohar Punna | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Please post the error message which you are receiving when you connect from the box.
    Anup
    Friday, August 26, 2011 11:03 PM