Distributing Visual Studio Shells with MSI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was trying to download Visual Studio Shell from the microsoft connect site. It mentioned that I cannot redistribute them.

Can some body help me with the correct way of redistributing the Visual Studio Shell with our installer?

Regards,

Kaveesh

• Edited by kaveeshd Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:08 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:08 AM

All replies

• Hi kaveeshd,

>>Can some body help me with the correct way of redistributing the Visual Studio Shell with our installer?

Based on your description, I'm not sure what is Visual Studio Shell, could you please describe it in detail.

Is it a visual studio install issue, or visual studio extension development issue?

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Not sure what you mean by not being able to redistribute. The Integrated and Isolated Shell redistribution packages are what your customer installer would install.

You may want to read up on the following:

Creating a Basic Isolated Shell Application
       Installing an Isolated Shell Application

In particular the deployment section. You have to build a custom installer which in turn installs the integrated (or isolated) shell redist.

You might also find the IronPython Studio VS Shell Isolated sample helpful even though it's based on VS 2010. Or the IronPython Integrated Shell sample.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Friday, February 17, 2017 4:37 AM